Horizontal Vent line pitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Branimal

Reaction score
I'm running a 2" pvc vent line in the ceiling joists from the north wall toward the south wall (18') where the vertical house vent line is located. Once I get near the house vent line can I slope the horizontal vent down as shown in the diagram. I'd prefer not to butcher the framing perpendicular to the joists. But if that's required, I'll hole saw it.

image0.jpeg

branimal-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code requires vents to remain level above the flood level of the fixture or slope Upwards from the fixture to the stack

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you can as you are IPC code I believe its sort of a unusual code for UPC plumbers to grasp but I believe they will allow that . providing your PVC vent does not receive drainage from above. All of our vents must be either flat or slope uphill toward a connection but IPC doesn't care they will allow a high point in center with both sides grading down makes no sense to me as its not my code , well I suppose it makes some sense but totally contrary to a UPC code plumbers teachings

Branimal

Reaction score
Code requires vents to remain level above the flood level of the fixture or slope Upwards from the fixture to the stack
My vents are all above the flood level AND slope upwards from the fixture to the stack with the exception of that one proposed downward slope toward the stack.

Branimal

Reaction score
I think you can as you are IPC code I believe its sort of a unusual code for UPC plumbers to grasp but I believe they will allow that . providing your PVC vent does not receive drainage from above. All of our vents must be either flat or slope uphill toward a connection but IPC doesn't care they will allow a high point in center with both sides grading down makes no sense to me as its not my code , well I suppose it makes some sense but totally contrary to a UPC code plumbers teachings
The stack PVC vent line doesn't receive any drainage. Me just thinking out loud --> if the highlighted 45 el in the picture is the high point, then water shouldn't get stuck in the horizontal vent line.

branimal-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks