Horizontal Vent bisected by double sanitary tee

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbdumb976

Reaction score
I am trying to move my bathroom sink and need to move the drain pipe. I'd like to run the pipe between the walls rather than through the floor of the bathroom. The issue I am facing is that if I ran the pipe in the wall, there is a 1 1/2" inch vent pipe running horizontally that is in the way. My thought is to cut the horizontal vent pipe and put in a double sanitary tee to maintain the horizontal vent, and allow the drain pipe to continue vertically. Does this seems like a logical solution are there any issues with this?

plumbdumb976

Reaction score
A lot depends on what the vent is venting, and on what floor.
Normally revents are done at 42" above the floor of the fixtures being served.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County
Thank you for responding. The vent is venting the kitchen sink and dishwasher I believe. The vent that I want to add the double sanitary tee is in the basement (below the first floor). I will not be venting anything new from this vent. For the relocated drain pipe I will be adding a new dedicated vent up the bathroom wall using a sanitary tee.

My thought process was that the double sanitary tee would allow for proper drainage of the bathroom sink and any condensation within the vent upstream of the sanitary tee could be drained down the new vertical drain and anything downstream would be drained as it already is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks