Horizontal to Horizontal Connection With Wye

Users who are viewing this thread

OddsAndEnds

Reaction score
I know you can use a wye and wye combo coming into horizontal to horizontal on drain and either come in straight or roll it up. My situation is I have a main running horizontal and my branch drain coming in horizontal is offset at a higher level to where i need to roll my wye on my main putting it at 90 degrees on its back and come across with my branch horizontally and drop into the top of my main wye combo with a long sweep 90 off my branch leg. My question is, is using the long sweep 90 on my branch leg to turn down and come into the top of my wye combo ok. Keeping in mind that the branch is only serving as drain for lavs and shower.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My question is, is using the long sweep 90 on my branch leg to turn down and come into the top of my wye combo ok.
Yes, that's fine for combining vented drains. And it will work for any angle of approach (in plan) for the upper drain relative to the lower drain. You can use a quarter bend (medium turn) instead of a long turn 90, as it is a transition from horizontal to vertical.

If your upper line is approaching perpendicular to your lower line as seen from above, you have a couple ways you could eliminate 45 degrees of total bend (not that it really matters): you could use a wye instead of a combo, and then rotate your upper bend by 45 degrees. Or you could use a 45 instead of a 90 and rotate your combo 45 degrees off plumb.

Cheers, Wayne

OddsAndEnds

Reaction score
Yes, that's fine for combining vented drains. And it will work for any angle of approach (in plan) for the upper drain relative to the lower drain. You can use a quarter bend (medium turn) instead of a long turn 90, as it is a transition from horizontal to vertical.

If your upper line is approaching perpendicular to your lower line as seen from above, you have a couple ways you could eliminate 45 degrees of total bend (not that it really matters): you could use a wye instead of a combo, and then rotate your upper bend by 45 degrees. Or you could use a 45 instead of a 90 and rotate your combo 45 degrees off plumb.

Cheers, Wayne

OddsAndEnds

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, actually now that I hear you say it, really its not even a horizontal to horizontal connection more off a verticle to horizontal connection since i am offset a little higher coming over with my branch and although not a big drop, none the less still dropping down into wye where i could really just use regular wye no combo come across rotate my 90 and shoot right into my wye, or again whatever the least amount of degrees i can. Sound about right?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds about right, and it's definitely a horizontal-vertical-horizontal. If you just ran the horizontals past each other, what is the height difference (center to center)?

Cheers, Wayne

OddsAndEnds

Reaction score
once i am pitched coming over with branch, probably like 6 to 7 inches depending on how far i drop my branch arm in the bay on the back side going up to get my pitch. Make sense? Basically i got a 4 inch running horizontal below joist and I am coming over with 3inch branch but want to stay up in joist bay

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For that condition, I think you'll find a combo plus 45 will work better than a wye plus 90. The former puts the segment at 45 degrees from plumb parallel to the face of the joists, while the latter puts it perpendicular to the joists, in plan. So the latter is more likely to hit a joist.

You also have the option of a wye rolled up 45 degrees from flat, followed by a 60, but I don't think you'll need that, it's helpful for when the two horizontals are very close vertically.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks