Horizontal drain layout in tight bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Fermiparadox

Reaction score
Hello all - Fantastic forum you have here. One of the best communities I've come across in some time!

I am remodeling our 2nd story bathroom and am having some trouble with figuring out the layout in such a tight space. There are no other bathroom groups on this drainage stack/vent. I have recreated the layout of DWV system from the prior setup and will try to explain the fixtures I have in place now.

20170928_212359asdf4fsdf.jpg

The prior system used a 90 degree elbow with a side-inlet to drain the whole bathroom group. The toilet was connected to the elbow and the bathtub/lav were connected to the side-inlet via a wye which was wet-vented with the lav. I live in Ohio and I believe the use of an elbow with a side-inlet is permissible in this instance.

706.4 Heel-or side-inlet quarter bends. Heel-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection, except where the quarter bend serves a water closet. A low-heel inlet shall not be used as a wet-vented connection. Side-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection for drainage, wet venting and stack venting arrangements.

New Layout.jpg
New Layout 2.jpg

I will be using 2" plumbing for the shower and lav drain/vent and 3" for the toilet. I would prefer to take the shower drain on the shortest possible route as it will require drilling through some floor joists. My main problem is determining the fittings that I can use in such a small space to connect everything to the main stack while keeping it horizontally wet vented in a proper fashion.

I hope I have presented everything in a logical manner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Fermiparadox

Reaction score
This is what I have come up with to minimize floor joist holes and still maintain the wet-vent. Any thoughts?

The 90 degree elbow with side inlet would make my life much easier, but I'm aware it isn't normally proper. Is there another fitting I could use in such a tight space?
plumbing view #1.PNG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks