Horizontal (1/4 to 1) to Vertical

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
I've been hanging a 3 inch line in an 18 inch crawl space. Beside little room and a rattlesnake I'm almost done.

I now will be downsizing to a 2 inch line for the shower and connecting this to an existing 2 inch wet vent.
Because of the slope and the floor, I have a real short distance (about 6 inches to play with) between where the horizontal will intersect with the vertical. If I put a 90 or try and use two 45, I cannot meet the vertical pipe
since the slope puts these fittings off of the vertical plane (NOT a right angle to the existing wet vent pipe). What is the best way to make this connection?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Post a picture so we can see whatcha got to work with.

A drawing of the system would be good too.

I get a little angst when advising someone on a wet vented system without seeing the entire layout.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In a bathroom group, the lav can wet vent the shower or tub assuming it's 2".

A kitchen sink or washer drain can't.

A wye can be tilted and a 45 used with it.

DW85745

Reaction score
n a bathroom group, the lav can wet vent the shower or tub assuming it's 2".
Right On.

A wye can be tilted and a 45 used with it.

Not sure what I gain with a wye as still a 45.

==============================
Curious how others handle the issue of a sloping horizontal line tying into a vertical.
Since the angle at intersection is around 93-95 degrees instead of a true 90
do you try and manipulate the fitting (sometime difficult because of pipe size and material)
or try and put in a short section of line that is perfectly horizontal -- or ???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We do whatever is necessary and/or possible, but a properly sloped drain line NEVER makes a true 90 connection to a vertical line because of the slope. Threaded fittings had the discrepency taken care of by their treads. PVC and ABS fittings have sufficient leeway in the hubs to handle it.

DW85745

Reaction score
Thanks for responding
PVC and ABS fittings have sufficient leeway in the hubs to handle it
This what I "try" and do but always a few with issues. You'd think since this is a common issue
Charlotte or NIBCO or one of the other outfits would come up with something to make this transition.
Hopefully one of them monitors this forum and will take a HINT!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the angle is too close for you to just slap a one-piece fitting on it, then put the wye farther back and use several fittings. We are always working with angles. There is always a way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Hopefully one of them monitors this forum and will take a HINT!!

Yeah, revise the dies that have made "zillions" of fittings so YOU will not have a problem with them. I do NOT think it is going to happen.

DW85745

Reaction score
hj: Didn't make my point clear. Just suggesting "another" fitting (each size, each type material -- ABS, PVC, etc). That is say 95%.

WHO, besides you, would need it? We have gotten by with the standard fittings, using various materials, for over a century. If they made "a dozen" of EACH size fitting in each material, they would have IMMENSE production costs AND a "lifetime" supply that no one would buy, or need. (Besides, if they did make them, and we bought them, every time we needed a 90 degree fitting, we would grab a 95 degee one.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks