Hope to install radiant underfloor heat tubing but

Users who are viewing this thread

katesisco

Reaction score
unbeknownst to me 4 months ago purchased a 75 year old small ranch that has sulfur slime of long duration.
I dont know if anyone else has ever seen this but in the attic, is a black coating on the fiberglass. The bathroom was vented to the attic for some length of time before. I am not at all convinced this is mold, perhaps it is sulfur slime?
There is a new electric water heater and commode, the latter not surprisingly already showing black accumulation in the tank wall and on the water line plastic tubing. I hope to install a high quality gas water heater to do double duty for the radiant heat line as well as the house. Is this foolish to do as the sulfur will quickly ruin the system?

My public water company has sent a notice saying the city water supply is contaminated with ecoli and is being shocked with chlorine. I asked for the previous 2 years of chlorine shocking events and have not heard back. The chlorine was so high my hand held gas detector (Ryan) ran mad over the water, my ferns nearly died.

I am suspecting the identification of 'ecoli contamination' serves to deter any complaints about the chlorine level even tho it is not good health. Chlorine is cheaper than hydrogen peroxide. If the sulfur slime is of long duration and I suspect it is, no information is forthcoming from the realtor or previous owner it seems, then I wonder what condition my in house sewer line is? My commode has a burp when flushed indicative of a clog in the vent above or line below.
Oh, and my house was inspected, assessed and approved by Rural Development.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect the black stuff in the attic is mold.

The black sulfur slime in the water water will have been oxidized by the chlorine I think. You can get other opinions, but I think a whole house backwashing filter using coconut charcoal media would be good for you. It will remove particles, and it will remove chlorine. Read up on that. Seek other posts on the subject.

I am not a pro. I don't know what you should use for heating. But I think the whole house filter would help any of your water use.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Your heating system water should be tested and pH adjusted every few years as needed, but it won't keep accumulating new contaminants over time unless you keep replacing the system water. Contaminants that outgas will eventually be purged by the system vents & air scoops, etc. Almost any water that is potable is suitable for hydronic heating.

Get rid of any insulation that is moldy, kill the mold on any wood, and replace the insulation. In an attic blown cellulose is almost always a better solution than fiberglass (and you can blow it over existing reasonably-clean fiberglass without creating problems.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks