Honeywell Smart Valve, abnormal flame rod voltage? (110 volts!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cdmackenzie

Reaction score
I had an earlier question about my power vented tank not firing up. I replaced the igniter myself (that didn't resolve the problem) and then had it looked at by the free emergency service of the my company (their diagnosis: bad valve) and have now booked another company (long wait!) to come give a repair quote. I am having to wait longer than desired for that, so I finally found my multimeter, and for my own curiosity, I was checking various things and was surprised to find the black wire to the igniter module occasionally reading 96-110 volts to ground (drain valve on tank). What is really weird is that the main burner fired up for several minutes the first few times I did this test.

What could be going on here? Given that the Smart Valve only receives 24-26v from the hot water tank controller, this 120V has to be coming from the blower side of the circuit somehow?

Everything else checks out electrically, including the pressure switch, igniter voltage, etc..

Later this morning I am going to try powering off all the breakers in my house except the HWT and repeating this voltage check.

Last edited:

Cdmackenzie

Reaction score
Sorry, never mind... The one webpage I read said that this should read 24V, but at the following video he says it should be 150-180 volts.

Direct link to spot in video:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks