HOMEMADE TOOLS, and best tricks

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guys, if you've been doing this for very long at all, you've probably had to manufacture tools to get some of your jobs done. Any clever ideas you care to share?

I'll go first
super-long drill bit. I had to drill through almost 5-feet of block. So I bought a brand new bit and took it to the welding shop. They welded on an extra long shaft for me. So I have a drill bit that's about 6 feet long :) I later used the same drill bit to bore a hole through the soil where we were running a water line :)

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use a 10" crescent wrench to install and remove expansion tanks. The jaws are thin enough to fit between the tank and the female threaded fitting. Ran into one that wouldn't break loose, so I hammered a 16" piece of 3/4 copper tube onto the handle for leverage. It was supposed to be temporary, but that was two years ago and it's still on there. Turned out to be useful for a lot of things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks