HOMEMADE TOOLS, and best tricks

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Michael Young, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

Guys, if you've been doing this for very long at all, you've probably had to manufacture tools to get some of your jobs done. Any clever ideas you care to share?

I'll go first
    super-long drill bit. I had to drill through almost 5-feet of block. So I bought a brand new bit and took it to the welding shop. They welded on an extra long shaft for me. So I have a drill bit that's about 6 feet long :) I later used the same drill bit to bore a hole through the soil where we were running a water line :)

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Six feet? That's awesome. I carry a ship auger for drilling past multiple studs It's more like 17" long.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    I use a 10" crescent wrench to install and remove expansion tanks. The jaws are thin enough to fit between the tank and the female threaded fitting. Ran into one that wouldn't break loose, so I hammered a 16" piece of 3/4 copper tube onto the handle for leverage. It was supposed to be temporary, but that was two years ago and it's still on there. Turned out to be useful for a lot of things.