Holes in load bearing walls

Users who are viewing this thread

Tee Jay

Reaction score
According to the Canadian building code:
9.23.5.3. wall studs

(1) wall studs shall not be notched, drilled or otherwise damaged so that the undamaged portion of the stud is less than two-thirds the depth of the stud if the stud is loadbearing or 40 mm if the stud is non-loadbearing, unless the weakened studs are suitably reinforced.

How do you run a 1.5" ABS pipe through a single 2x6 stud then? One third of a 2x6 is slightly less than 1 7/8" which isn't big enough to run the ABS pipe. I see that Simpson makes stud shoes, but those don't seem to be available anywhere and even then, seem to require engineering sign off rather than being a sure fix.

Other places say that you can double up the stud as long as you aren't drilling more than two consecutive pairs, but that seems to be in the US vs Canada.

Reach4

Reaction score
How do you run a 1.5" ABS pipe through a single 2x6 stud then? One third of a 2x6 is slightly less than 1 7/8" which isn't big enough to run the ABS pipe.
1.5 inch copper is 1.625 od.

Are you sure the studs are load bearing?

Tee Jay

Reaction score
Are you sure the studs are load bearing?

Yes, 100% certain it is load bearing. I'd have to go on a hunt for copper that size, the local hardware stores can't even get 1/2 and 3/4 these days. Would certainly prefer to stay with ABS.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, 100% certain it is load bearing. I'd have to go on a hunt for copper that size, the local hardware stores can't even get 1/2 and 3/4 these days. Would certainly prefer to stay with ABS.
1-1/4 inch ABS is 1.660 OD. That probably works for a lavatory, but not a kitchen.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a 5.5" member with an allowable hole size of 1.83", if you drill a 2.13" hole and use a Simpson HSS2-SDS1.5 stud shoe to reinforce it (which would require not centering the hole), unless your inspector is unreasonably picky, that would count as "suitably reinforced."

If you're concerned, ask your building department how they interpret "suitably reinforced" in your application.

Cheers, Wayne

Tee Jay

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. I will have a look and see if I can find those somewhere in town. Lowes and HD don't carry them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks