Hole sizes for pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
OK, I'm not a plumber, but I play one at my house evenings and weekends. :D

This will be a basic question that you can probably answer in your sleep if you are a plumber.

Getting ready to rough in the plumbing for my remodel, so I thought I'd go buy the necessary drill bits / hole saws to get the job done. So now the question - what sizes and types?

What size bit / hole saw do you use for each of the supply line sizes:
1/2"
3/4"
1"

and each of the DWV line sizes:
1 1/2"
2"
3"
4"

(BTW supply material will be either copper or CPVC and DWV will be PVC)

and do you have a preference on the type of "drilling implement", i.e. twist drill/auger bit, speed bit, self feed bit, hole saw for the various size holes?

Thanks,

Joel

Jwray

Reaction score
Supporting the pipe in the hole

HJ,

Makes sense. The supply lines will definitely fit through those holes.

One question. How do you support the supply lines in those holes, especially on horizontal runs?

Thanks,
Joel

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Note hj's good comment about using self-feed bits. ( Different brands have different names). If you try to use a hole saw, it will really slow you down.

Igman

Reaction score
Opening up an old thread with a stupid question...

So what's the consensus for a 3"? 3 ⅝ of 4"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks