Hole size for Oatey closet flange with stainless steel ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave5574

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to cut the hole in my tile to install the closet flange in the link below. If you look on the photo of the bottom side at the black lip/ledge section right next to the steel ring. (I've also attached a photo)

Does the hole need to be big enough so this black plastic part sits within the hole and only the steel sits on top of the tile OR Does the plastic ledge sit on top of the tile as well?

Looking from the side, the black ledge, if sitting on top of the tile, will raise the SS ring about 1/16th of an inch it seems. Oatey doesn't seem to mention any suggested hole size for this or is this by design so the SS ring can swivel and be adjusted for the bolt slots

Oatey Flange.jpg
Oatey Flange side view.jpg.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro, but based on your photo, I think you would want the plastic in the hole.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We try to use 4" pipe with an inside fit flange and tell the floor guy to tile around the pipe. I think you would run the risk of having nothing to screw to if you made your hole large enough to set the larger diameter into the tile. Set it on the floor is what I'd do

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks