Hole size allowed in 2 X 8 joist

Users who are viewing this thread

avalonbeach

Reaction score
I am adding a shower on the 2d floor. It is 42" square. The floor is 2 layers of 1/2" plywood. Below the plywood are joist that run a 11 foot span. Moving from the center of the shower towards the outside of the rectangle of the shower there is a 2" x 8" double lam joist 1/2" and 3 1/2 " on center, and then there is a wood 2" x 8" joist 14" from the shower center. None of those joist will have any drain holes through the joist, so my guess is that I do not have to add anything on that half of the shower area. Am I right?

However, moving from the center of the shower the other way, there are two wood 2" x 8" joist, 2" and 18" on center from the center of the shower. The one at 18" o.c. must be drilled with one 2 1/2" hole for the shower drain. My other question, is it ok for that hole to be in that joist? Where can I find information about what are allowable holes in joist?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
It depends, slightly on where you live.

In some places, the hole can be 1/3 of the joist depth (actual measurement, not nominal size); others, only 1/4 of the joist depth. In all places, it CAN NOT be within 2" of the top or bottom of the joist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks