Hole in exterior wall where HVAC condensation line comes in. Seal with caulk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
gap in exterior wall.jpg

When the HVAC installers put in my new AC 2-3 years ago, it seems they left a hole in the exterior wall at ground level. We're getting some water coming into the house during heavy rainstorms, leaving the basement wet, and maybe this is one of the spots where it's getting in.

How do I seal it? By squeezing in a bunch of this kind of silicone caulk? Will that cause problems with the wires from the AC coming into the home? Or do I use something else to seal it?

The tape is my doing, and I'll remove it when I get to sealing it properly.

Thanks very much for any help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I might consider a fire blocking foam. THen, I'm not up on the latest in this regard. A closed cell foam should be both waterproof, and make a decent seal. Now, some insects will just channel through it, but it should be easier to cut out if you needed to verses silicon at some later date.

Reaction score
DSCF1168.JPG

DSCF1167.JPG

DSCF1166.JPG

DSCF1165.JPG

DSCF1164.JPG

DSCF1163.JPG

I used the Gardner Bender Duct Seal Compound. I smushed it in there. I hope I didn't do anything fire hazardy.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks