Hole & crack in PVC pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

bk82388

Reaction score
Made a stupid mistake yesterday when putting up strapping. Using a nail gun I shot a nail right into a horizontal drain pipe. At first glance I figured I would cut it on the 1 1/2" pvc, put on a coupling and replace the section. I only have about an inch of pipe that would be left before it runs into a Y that splits off a bunch of different directions that I no longer have access to...so it is essential I fix this and do not screw myself.

The issue becomes that the nail end up putting a hairline crack in the pipe that appears to go all the way to the joint with the Y. So, I fear if I cut the 1 1/2 drain pipe, slowly by hand with a hacksaw blade, that the inch of pipe that I am left with will be too compromised by the crack to correctly glue up to a new coupling. I am right to think the pipe may not be able to glue up due to the hairline crack? Is there a risk by cutting the pipe that a section breaks off? Or if I go slow with a new hacksaw blade is that risk not really a worry?

Basically, I don't want to break the pipe so then I am left with a mess of Y's and fittings that cannot be connected to due to the broken pipe.

Am I better off trying to use some sort of flex seal type patch to cover the whole crack and the hole from the nail?

This is a drain that only serves the free standing tub in the master bath if that puts things in a different context.

Thanks for any input and help! If anything needs to be clarified i am happy to do so!

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You can buy a special type of drill bit that is designed to remove the stub of pipe from the hub of a PVC fitting (look for a "ram bit" or "socket saver"); this would let you replace the cracked length of pipe with a non-broken one (i.e., remove old piece, glue in a new piece), and then use a banded flexible coupling to connect that stub to the old run.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Made a stupid mistake yesterday when putting up strapping. Using a nail gun I shot a nail right into a horizontal drain pipe. At first glance I figured I would cut it on the 1 1/2" pvc, put on a coupling and replace the section. I only have about an inch of pipe that would be left before it runs into a Y that splits off a bunch of different directions that I no longer have access to...so it is essential I fix this and do not screw myself.

The issue becomes that the nail end up putting a hairline crack in the pipe that appears to go all the way to the joint with the Y. So, I fear if I cut the 1 1/2 drain pipe, slowly by hand with a hacksaw blade, that the inch of pipe that I am left with will be too compromised by the crack to correctly glue up to a new coupling. I am right to think the pipe may not be able to glue up due to the hairline crack? Is there a risk by cutting the pipe that a section breaks off? Or if I go slow with a new hacksaw blade is that risk not really a worry?

Basically, I don't want to break the pipe so then I am left with a mess of Y's and fittings that cannot be connected to due to the broken pipe.

Am I better off trying to use some sort of flex seal type patch to cover the whole crack and the hole from the nail?

This is a drain that only serves the free standing tub in the master bath if that puts things in a different context.

Thanks for any input and help! If anything needs to be clarified i am happy to do so!

take a piece of the same diameter pipe. Cut a little Band-aid to put over your hole. Use a heat gun to warm up your little piece of PVC material. Place the warm PVC band-aid over the area you're trying to cover until it makes a perfect fit against the pipe. Now sand both sides, prime it and glue on your band-aid. Use a stainless steel band to hold your band-aid in place. Once it cures, your crack is waterproof. Remove the stainless steel band. Good as new.

if you want a more traditional fix, you can buy a repair clamp
upload_2018-4-16_16-12-31.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The preferred way to do this is to replace the pipe. The safest way to remove it from the fitting is one of the special drills (that aren't all that expensive).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks