Highest Quality Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

GGorman04

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. I have a Briggs 4430 toilet and awhile back replace the flush valve with a fluidmaster piece from HD. It has lasted only three years and was wondering if I should buy the flush valve that came from the factory? I remember the original flapper seemed of a low quality so was wondering if the flush valve was of the same.

Thanks in advance
George

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fluidmaster is a decent valve. Depending on your water quality and whether there may be any particulates in it (sand from a well?), you may need to replace the seal for a couple of dollars. Unless the valve itself broke, but it just won't shut off, that is normally all that is required. None of the modern valves will last forever if you use chemicals IN the tank, though. There, you might find an all brass unit may last longer, but the flapper valves will still fail fairly frequently.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, people make that typo all the time. If you are talking about the flush valve -- the thing with the flapper on it -- usually you don't need a new one until it cracks or otherwise breaks. The flapper that sits on it, you will need to change after several years -- how long depends upon your water quality and whether you use chemicals in the tank (i.e. 1000 Flushes). As to the fill valve, Fluidmaster is one plumbers swear by. I like the Korky 528, however, because it is very easy for DIYs to install, and to clean and fix without ever having to change out the whole valve. All the working parts are contained in a little cap that you can get at HD for $4 when the seal wears out 5 or more years from now.

GGorman04

Reaction score
I just realized what I changed was the fill valve and not the flush valve.
I was told the following test: Draw a pencil line on the back wall of the tank at the waterline. Then turn supply off and wait 30 minutes. If the water level remains the same we have a refill valve problem. If the water level falls below pencil mark, the leak is in the flush valve.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I infer that your symptom is that the water runs to the toilet periodically. There are other possible things that could cause the water level to drop some from your mark. For example, there could be a siphon action putting some water down the overflow, if the little hose goes down the tube. There was one case posted where the problem was not the hose down the tube, but rather the water was wicking up the clip on the tube. Your test is still a useful test.

Regarding the flapper valve, you might try running your finger around the flapper valve seat to feel for an imperfection or debris.

GGorman04

Reaction score
I will look at the flapper valve seat again. From what I gather, the fill valve does not go bad that often.
I am guessing that I would be able to see the water flowing down the overflow, correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't want to hold up your test. If the water level stays high, that will be very meaningful. If the level drops, it is probably the flapper valve, but there are other potential answers.

For an interesting unusual case, see
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ion-4-toilet-review-and-pictures.55843/page-7 post 130. That was the wicking up the clip. If the fill level was set lower, that would not have happened.

Also see
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/diagnosing-leaking-toilet.57075/
for cracked overflow tube (which could be considered part of the flapper valve.)

GGorman04

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the link. One other thing you reminded me of... I bought a flapper valve with a piece before that included a mounting piece that was attached with some type of grey puddy. I removed this piece and puddy to install the new flapper. Maybe I need to clean the seat area better to make sure that it was not damaged.

Last edited:

GGorman04

Reaction score
Ok
It looks like I found the problem. I believe the overflow tube has a small crack in it. Since this is part of the flush valve, is there anyway to replace just the tube?

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try a waterproof tape such as silicone tape.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks