High Water Level Fleck 5600SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Fleck 5600 SXT, installed 2 years ago.

Recently checked the salt level I noticed the water is about 1 foot higher than the salt level. I never noticed that before. The tank is the round 33" high by 18" diameter. Current salt is 17" high, with sitting water about 1 foot higher.

Just checked hardness level with a Hach B test kit, took 10 drops to turn violet/blue

Where do I start?
Is it recommended to by pass the softener for now, since water is being filtered through a dirty resin bed?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume that water is not being drawn during the brine draw. The tank is filled during brine fill, but the safety float cuts off the water flow due to the high level.

In your service manual, see "Excessive water in brine tank" and "Softener fails to draw brine" sections. That has a list of potential causes.

I would start with checking for a clogged injector or injector screen.

In addition to the listed potential causes, a small vacuum leak could be a cause. The leak would be big enough to admit air but not big enough to leak noticeable water.

Regarding bypass, seems like a good idea. How hard is the raw water?

Is your softener protected from sun UV? That would not be the likely cause of the problem, but while thinking softener, it is good to prevent the deterioration of plastics.

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
In the garage so no UV ussues, Installed a 3/4 “inch PVC drain line since the line goes up to the ceiling across the garage and all the way back the sink. I did put a union but I still have to cut it be able to turn out the drain line since it's angled(see pic)

Anyway next step says to disconnect brine line and put the unit into regenerate and stick it in a glass of water during BD . If it draws down the water the problem is in the float assembly. If not, most likely it’s a clogged the injector.
Where installed it’s difficult to get to .

What’s a better way to attach the drain line to the 3/4” PVC?

The recent test is a 10, think the water is normally 13 GPG

Attachments

• SXTdrainLine.jpeg
    SXTdrainLine.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Update........

started regen, to BD status, put the brine line in a container with water, immediately sucked the water down.

Turned off the unit , pulled the float assembly, rinsed under hot water, took the top apart, silicone for the washer/seal and put it all back together, ran a regen. Took 60 minutes to empty the brine tank. All modes ran as programmed.

Re tested, all fine. I don't think I did anything to the float that would make a difference. So wondering what caused this in the first place?

Attachments

• HachB5 Test.jpeg
    HachB5 Test.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 131
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks