High Wall Drain, New Sink & Disposal Dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

NDevine

Reaction score
I have an issue I'd like to get feedback on before proceeding w/ my kitchen rehab project. I'm currently having new kitchen cabinets, counters, sink, faucet, disposal, etc installed. As part of this project, I realized that my main sink drain coming in from the wall is 19 1/2" above the floor. Quite high from what I'm reading upon further investigation.

Here's where it gets tricky. I'm looking to install a 9" single basin sink, that I'm measuring as only 5 1/2" above the center of 2" drain line (from bottom of sink basin).

I've had mixed information from a few GCs that have quoted to perform the kitchen project work. My question comes to this - is it possible to fit a garbage disposal (recommendations of high-drain disposals welcome) with only 5 1/2" inches of space, to include sink connectors, disposal, P-trap and any necessary accommodations?
(one minor item of note, is the center of sink is approx 5" right of drain center)

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions you can provide.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might be a good time to open the wall and lower the drain. Water does not drain up hill by gravity in Arkansas.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I rough my kitchen drains at 16" if someone has a 10" deep sink and a disposer. Otherwise the disposer never fully drains.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/badger5_specs.pdf

From the bottom of the sink to the center of this disposer is 6"
You need to be lower than that though to get to the bottom.

You should really be at 17" or lower.

NDevine

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your input on this one guys. @Terry
Normally I rough my kitchen drains at 16" if someone has a 10" deep sink and a disposer. Otherwise the disposer never fully drains.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/badger5_specs.pdf

From the bottom of the sink to the center of this disposer is 6"
You need to be lower than that though to get to the bottom.

You should really be at 17" or lower.

@Terry - I really appreciate your feedback on this one. With this diagram, it shows a 6" height space for this disposal. I'm only 1/2" shy of this amount of clearance. Are there any other compact models in your experience that might fit w/o lowering the drain? reason I ask, is that my piping is iron and it's due to raise the cost significantly if I have to lower drain. I'm open to doing lowering, but as a final option if nothing else is viable. Thanks again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So that's 1/2" of water that never leaves the disposer. That's not going to last very long.

You will want to look at spec sheets, the WasteKing is 7-1/4" to center. That one is even worse.
Not that I would consider installing another WasteKing.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
reason I ask, is that my piping is iron and it's due to raise the cost significantly if I have to lower drain. I'm open to doing lowering, but as a final option if nothing else is viable.
A shallower sink on a same-height counter is viable.

Having the new sink counter higher is viable as long as you don't then go with an undermount sink to counteract. Some would find the higher working height an advantage.

Switching to a dual bowl sink with a higher smaller part for the disposal would work.
a4c03660-520a-4dc1-b332-07d81966ce6f_145.jpg
The thing that matches the picture you seek is to drop the drain.

Last edited:

NDevine

Reaction score
A shallower sink on a same-height counter is viable.

Having the new sink counter higher is viable as long as you don't then go with an undermount sink to counteract. Some would find the higher working height an advantage.

Switching to a dual bowl sink with a higher smaller part for the disposal would work.
a4c03660-520a-4dc1-b332-07d81966ce6f_145.jpg
The thing that matches the picture you seek is to drop the drain.

I appreciate your input on this one. Thank you. Looks like my options are:
- Lower drain a few inches while wall is exposed.
- Raise counter height
- The dual basin sink w/ shorter side
- Exclude the garbage disposal.

This should be interesting...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks