High quality/designer stop valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

ss3964spd

Reaction score
I know, I know - sounds a little over the top but I'm a stickler for the details.

Been working on my new basement 3/4 bath and have almost all the tiling finished so I need to start ordering all the fixtures, lighting, etc-etc, right down to the angled stops.

The question is, does anyone manufacture good quality, 1/4 turn, stops that are also pleasing to look at? Something along the lines of the nice, smooth, P traps that are popular now with the advent of wall hung sinks.

Does anyone know of a supplier?

Many thanks,

Dan

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Thanks Rugged.

Start at $60.00? That might be just a little steep. ;)

I get that mag too. I went to their web site and saw they had exactly one nice stop that has the look I want but it's FIP and and I need compression on the inlet side since I've got plain 1/2 copper stubs coming out of the wall.

Did find another site - Signature Hardware, that had some ok valves but all geared towards an antique look whereas I'm looking for modern.

The search continues!

Dan

ss3964spd

Reaction score
I could certainly do that Mikey, but I think I'd then have problems finding escutcheons deep enough to cover the adapters since the male adapter would be proud of the finished wall plane.

Dan

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
ss3964spd said:
Thanks Rugged.

Start at $60.00? That might be just a little steep. ;)

I get that mag too. I went to their web site and saw they had exactly one nice stop that has the look I want but it's FIP and and I need compression on the inlet side since I've got plain 1/2 copper stubs coming out of the wall.

Did find another site - Signature Hardware, that had some ok valves but all geared towards an antique look whereas I'm looking for modern.

The search continues!

Dan

Yep, they are quite expensive but they have the market cornered with some of their replica products.

I had a customer years ago spend $80 a piece for angle stops that were made by Foremost. They bought those along with supply tubes and scussions and I saw the receipt; $284 and change. :eek:

The Foremost toilet they bought was junk. This was back in the day when you could buy all of this stuff from JCPenny. ???

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
why don't 1/4 turn ball valves replace faucets? Whether angle stop or straight.

i asked plumbers this last year when i was renovating and none could tell me why faucets were necessary if ballcock valves did the job just as well.

david

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You tell my wife she's got to crawl around under the vanity to turn the water on and off...

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
geniescience said:
why don't 1/4 turn ball valves replace faucets? Whether angle stop or straight.

i asked plumbers this last year when i was renovating and none could tell me why faucets were necessary if ballcock valves did the job just as well.

david

I'm going to take a wild guess. I'd like to know if I'm right from the professionals here.

Ball valves are designed for intermittent use. Thus they cost less than $10 a piece.

Faucets are designed for constant use. Thus they cost several times that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
nope, a ball valve is not designed to be a variable valve - it should be on or off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

Faucets are not necessary, but they do look better than angle stops. But many of the new faucets are quarter turn just like the angle stops. If you want plumbing that looks like the 1880's then you could use pipe and valves for everything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks