High quality angle stop valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

EricE

Reaction score
I'm visiting my parents and in passing my mom mentioned none of the angle stop valves under their bathroom sinks or toilets are operational any more. Before heading off to the usual big box stores and getting whatever chinesium junk they have I was wondering if there were better brands of angle stop valves, even if the have to be ordered, that might be longer lasting or better made?

Sweating the old valves off and new ones on isn't that big an issue - I'd just like to keep it to a minimum in the future if possible. They are also in southern Nevada with horribly hard water - maybe one of these days I'll win the water softener argument but that's probably another topic for another time.

EricE

Reaction score
They also have issues with water hammer - any that have integrated water hammer arrestors that actually work would be an added bonus!

Reach4

Reaction score
Dahl mini-ball valves have a good reputation. They may not be the value leader, but the premium is not too bad.

Sinks should not have water hammer problems. Dishwashers and ice makers often do. Toilets? It varies.

Edit... I see some stop valves have water hammer arrestors built in. These look a little hokey I think.
https://www.dahlvalve.com/products/water-hammer-valves-fittings.php

For a toilet, I would consider the Sioux Chief 660-TK, which goes between the flex line and the fill valve.

dahl-stop-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ameli0rate

Reaction score
Sweating the old valves off and new ones on isn't that big an issue - I'd just like to keep it to a minimum in the future if possible.

To piggyback, I am planning on replacing mine with quarter-turn angle stops when I replace toilets and sinks (upcoming bathroom remodel).
Is there a reason these things don't thread on to the pipes coming out of the wall? It would be a lot easier to replace them in the future if they did.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a reason these things don't thread on to the pipes coming out of the wall? It would be a lot easier to replace them in the future if they did.
I am not sure what format you are looking for there, but I expect it is available.

EricE

Reaction score
Thanks @Reach4 and @Terry - just what I was looking for. I looked at the valves under the sinks again and what do you know - they are Brass Craft - I dunno if I would have paid attention the writing without the prompting here. They are over 45 years old so I won't hold that against them :)

EricE

Reaction score

It's easier and a lot faster at install time to just slip a compression valve on or sweat one on. Time is money for any tradesman. I'm not a tradesman and in this for the long haul so once I get the old valves out I'll be putting threaded nipples on then threaded valves so no one has to get a torch out to replace them in the future. Then again the original valves lasted 45 years before the crappy water here got them so it may not matter. If it does future me will appreciate the efforts of present me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the existing install has a threaded connection, there's nothing wrong with just screwing on a new piece. Sometimes, though, they used iron pipe, and those do rust and fail. If it is a brass or copper threaded connection, I'd just screw on a replacement valve. If it's iron, I'd want to replace the nipple with brass, but then, the whole supply system may be galvanized, and subject to problems...then, it's time to repipe. With all new copper, I'd just use a compression valve, not solder it on. Quicker and easier to replace when the time comes.

Treeman

Reaction score
BrassCraft = thanks for supporting us Michiganders as well as many others across the U.S.!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks