high-pitched whine from heat pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike_J

Reaction score
I've just noticed a really annoying high-pitched whine coming from my sideboards whenever the circulator is running. I don't know if it's always been there and I just never noticed it but it's suddenly very loud and noticeable when the house is quiet. The thing is, I had the furnace off all day to fix a burst pipe in the garage--I'm wondering if it could be a symptom of air in the pipes? Normally I would expect banging and clunking.

This is an older system that doesn't have bleeder valves--not sure what it has for air removal really--I just bought the house and embarassed to say I don't know all the ins and outs of the system yet. Any advice on how older systems can be purged would be appreciated too--might as well make sure there's no air if at all possible.

Mike_J

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks