High-pitched noise from water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Karen F.

Reaction score
My American electric hot water heater (with expansion tank) makes a high-pitched noise when outside spigots are only partially open. This happens with the dishwasher also as I guess there's restricted flow there as well. I've flushed the tank which didn't help and checked the tpr valve which appears to be working fine.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on what the problem could be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On some valves that utilize a washer to seal, as the washer starts to age, it can loosen and vibrate (the rubber can shrink or otherwise deteriorate and the screw doesn't hold it tight). There's potentially a bit more turbulence when partially open than fully open. That can make a high pitched sound, but there are probably other things that can as well.

The dishwasher's inlet valve typically doesn't use a washer, but there's probably a shutoff under the sink that feeds it, so that could be the culprit there. It's more common today to use a 1/4-turn valve that doesn't have a washer that can vibrate, and if it's the DW, and it's a multi-turn one, swapping that out for a new one might solve that issue. On the hose bib, maybe replacing the existing washer might solve that. Both of them are inexpensive unless you have to hire a plumber to do it for you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater makes noise? close valve just to be sure water heater shouldnt make noise when running cold water. Check pressure cant say exactly why but Id check it because I have gage and it takes less than a minute

Karen F.

Reaction score
On some valves that utilize a washer to seal, as the washer starts to age, it can loosen and vibrate (the rubber can shrink or otherwise deteriorate and the screw doesn't hold it tight). There's potentially a bit more turbulence when partially open than fully open. That can make a high pitched sound, but there are probably other things that can as well.

The dishwasher's inlet valve typically doesn't use a washer, but there's probably a shutoff under the sink that feeds it, so that could be the culprit there. It's more common today to use a 1/4-turn valve that doesn't have a washer that can vibrate, and if it's the DW, and it's a multi-turn one, swapping that out for a new one might solve that issue. On the hose bib, maybe replacing the existing washer might solve that. Both of them are inexpensive unless you have to hire a plumber to do it for you.

Thanks for responding! Strange, it always happens with the spigot I use to water the garden... until today. Today while watering the water heater was silent. It now appears to be an intermittent issue. The valve that turns the water off in the water heater closet does that need to be checked? The sound is coming from somewhere in this closet. I cannot tell exactly where in this closet.

Karen F.

Reaction score
Water heater makes noise? close valve just to be sure water heater shouldnt make noise when running cold water. Check pressure cant say exactly why but Id check it because I have gage and it takes less than a minute

I'm going to buy a pressure gage today. Perhaps the incoming water pressure is too high and the pressure regulator needs to be adjusted.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes try some differant things. I cant see why W/H makes noise when running cold water . thats why I said close valve on water heater as I dont think noise is coming from there but just guessing. Checking pressure is another thing . Otherwise If we dont do something , we can do nothing but these are easy things to try

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks