High pitch squealing/whistle while on Backwash

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by Topper, May 17, 2019.

1. Topper

Topper New Member

retired
    Today for the first time I started up my CSI water softener and thankfully had one small leak where the water line connect to the head. Anyway I was trying to run a Backwash to Sanitize the system. Not sure how long a normal backwash last but mine was times at 10 minutes and then went on to the other three cycles. It was during the backwash when my system began to make a very loud squealing which lasted until the end of the cycle.
    Can someone please tell me if this noise is normal, or if I need to make some kind of adjustment . Any idea's would be great.

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
    Is this a new unit or one sitting there installed and not used for a long time? The noise is probably water rushing through a valve? Do you know your water pressure? Are you on city water or a well?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Topper

Topper New Member

retired
    This is a new unit which I started to install several weeks ago. I plumbed the lines but never turned it on until yesterday when I finished all the work I needed to get done. So The unit had been plugged in but on bypass. I slowly opened the water lines to the unit and purged the air from the tank, as well as purging the air from the water lines in the house. The noise was during the forced backwash which lasted 10min.
    Oh and yes I am on well water. 40-60 pressure setting.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

10 minute backup followed by other cycles is normal. Squealing is not normal. I had an old Autotrol softener that squealed during backwash. It was very old.

I would check with the seller.

6. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Noise during the regen cycle is very common, it is usually velocity related. The drain line has a flow restrictor that controls flow to a specified amount. On a 10" softener tank anywhere from 2-3 GPM is normal during the backwash and brine and rinse cycles. Small or restrictive drain lines are also a common cause. I highly recommend no less than 1/2" PVC pipe or 5/8" soft pvc tube for a 10" tank to help lessen drain line noise.

7. Topper

Topper New Member

retired
    Ditto, I think I found the cause which after finding a pinch in the 5/8” tubing , the noise seems to be now gone. If the noise returns, I’ll be sure to as for more ideas. Thanks to everyone who responded.