High Loop Drain that Goes Below Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

BryceinSLC

Reaction score
Hello All... First post of this forum, here we go!

My dishwasher's drain line has a high loop...
but..
after the loop it goes down to below the sink trap and back up to the disposal.
(actually its goes slightly above the disposal, then back down to the disposal, so 2 high loops?)
Is this ok?
I noticed water in the drain line today where it goes below the trap.
Beside a little smell when doing the dishes I don't have issue with water backing up.

If this is not ok, what should I do with all the extra drain hose?

kitchen-high-loop.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 181

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
From a single high loop, it should be gravity down into the disposal drain branch.
Often you can stuff the excess drain back into the DW cabinet.

BryceinSLC

Reaction score
If I shove the extra line back in the DW cabinet it gets bunched up at the top creating extra loops.
It's not a clean path from DW to disposal. Is this ok?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this ok?

Well, no, but there's not much else you can do other than abandoning the manufacturer-supplied drain hose. They make them about 3 times as long as
needed in most cases, and the hoses really aren't capable of being shortened. So you end up with long lengths of drain hose collecting dishwasher
gunk, no matter where you put it. You could probably find some suitable hose elsewhere that would fit both the dishwasher pump outlet and the disposer inlet, and make a
custom length to suit YOUR layout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks