High Hardness Compensation Factor Information

Users who are viewing this thread

Otto Mation

Reaction score
I have searched the internet for any information on water high hardness compensation factors. I can't find any information on this what so ever. I have seen it mentioned on this forum from time to time but have never been able to find any charts or proof that this is even a real issue. I am not doubting that it is a real issue but would like to learn more about it. It is odd that no one outside of this forum has mentioned it anywhere else on the internet that I can find. If anyone has information on this or could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Otto Mation

Reaction score
Thanks Reach. I came across that in the past and really have not been able to find anything else beyond that chart. I really am looking for more information on why a compensation factor is needed and a little more background on this. What is even more interesting is that no where else is this mentioned. Why is this? Could it be true that everyone else selling softeners is miss-sizing them and using the wrong settings. I have applied the compensation factor to my settings which has me regenerating every 350 gallons. I need a little wiggle room here and want to know what the critical factors are.

Otto Mation

Reaction score
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Something else in that document that is interesting is described as "Continuous Hardness Leakage". It jives with exactly what I am seeing in my system. I am only able to get my hardness down to around 2.5-3 gpg. I am using 10 lbs of salt per cubic ft of resin. Doing the math, I need to increase that to 12 lbs per cubic ft to get down to 1 gpg. I am not sure that I want to do that.

For the curious, my water report tells me that I have 2,260 ppm (132 gpg) of hardness as CaCO3 and the Hach 5B using the dilution method tells me that it is 2975 ppm (174 gpg). Either way I probably will not ever be able to get it to zero.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Something else in that document that is interesting is described as "Continuous Hardness Leakage". It jives with exactly what I am seeing in my system. I am only able to get my hardness down to around 2.5-3 gpg. I am using 10 lbs of salt per cubic ft of resin. Doing the math, I need to increase that to 12 lbs per cubic ft to get down to 1 gpg.
Are you saying that you have over 1300 TDS?

Last edited:

Otto Mation

Reaction score
Are you saying that you have over 1300 TDS?

Yes my TDS is calculated at 4,918 ppm but 2,260 ppm (132 gpg) of hardness as CaCO3 and the Hach 5B using the dilution method tells me that it is 2975 ppm (174 gpg)

I edited my post above to reflect this.

Capture.gif

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks