High Flow (15gpm) Softener Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

D C

Reaction score
Building a house for my son and DIL. They just got their well pump installed (15gpm) and well-water test results back (25 grains hardness, 0.5ppm iron). Would like to find a softener setup that can handle the flow rate without issue and the hardness, keeping in mind that it's 2 of them now, but may be up to 4 in the coming years.

I understand the Fleck 5810sxt I have (similar flow & hardness) is discontinued.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Dave

Reach4

Reaction score
The softener is after the pressure tank, so the softener would not see 15 gpm. Maybe 7 to 10 peak and mostly much less.

D C

Reaction score
The softener is after the pressure tank, so the softener would not see 15 gpm. Maybe 7 to 10 peak and mostly much less.
Where does the pressure tank enter the flow equation?
It's a 15gpm constant pressure well pump feeding a 1-1/4" line. With a multi-head shower, flow is important. Don't want the softener being a restriction on the system.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where does the pressure tank enter the flow equation?
It's a 15gpm constant pressure well pump feeding a 1-1/4" line. With a multi-head shower, flow is important. Don't want the softener being a restriction on the system.
15 gpm and constant pressure are somewhat contradictory terms. But I understand now that you don't have a common big pressure tank, where the flow into the tank is limited only by the pump, piping etc.

The flow thru the softner is determined by the water being consumed. What the well can provide puts an upper limit. Remember that yard watering and other irrigation does not go through the softener.

However, I will answer what you are asking for.

See Table 1 of https://wcponline.com/2004/03/14/learn-right-first-time-guidelines-designing-water-softeners/

The factor you are asking for is SFR (Service Flow Rate). See that in the "Service Flow" column of the table. At that rate, the softener can pass water with what may be acceptible hardness leakage. The "Peak Flow Rate" column tells the flow possible but with significant hardness leakage.

D C

Reaction score
15 gpm and constant pressure are somewhat contradictory terms. But I understand now that you don't have a common big pressure tank, where the flow into the tank is limited only by the pump, piping etc.

The flow thru the softner is determined by the water being consumed. What the well can provide puts an upper limit. Remember that yard watering and other irrigation does not go through the softener.

However, I will answer what you are asking for.

See Table 1 of https://wcponline.com/2004/03/14/learn-right-first-time-guidelines-designing-water-softeners/

The factor you are asking for is SFR (Service Flow Rate). See that in the "Service Flow" column of the table. At that rate, the softener can pass water with what may be acceptible hardness leakage. The "Peak Flow Rate" column tells the flow possible but with significant hardness leakage.
Thanks. So it's a 'time on target' calculation for the amount of resin. Makes sense. Of course that needs to also be sized according to the household size hardness. 75 gal pp/day @ 25 grains x 4 people is 7500 grains/day, so that's ~50k grains with a 7 day recharge cycle. That suggests 2.0 or so of resin, which also is in line with the service and peak flow rates.

When Coming in, I was thinking more in terms of valve size so it's not the bottleneck.

Reach4

Reaction score
When Coming in, I was thinking more in terms of valve size so it's not the bottleneck.
Fleck 2510 SXT can pass that kind of flow, and is available and not high priced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks