Hiding TV wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

interalian

Reaction score
I'm looking at hiding all the cables to my flat panel TV in the wall. I found a wiring solution from Sanus that lets you run the AC in the wall without need of an electrician, but have heard that it shouldn't be run in the same stud cavity as the power wires that are already there. Is this code, or is it just common practice to run LV in a separate cavity?

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/accessories/elm806/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think it will really matter if you use quality cables, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to separate them. It also could be more of a problem when cutting the holes for the panels if there are wires already in that stud bay.

interalian

Reaction score
That's about what I thought, since there are no issues with whatever rat's nest of AC and other wires that might be behind your hifi or home theater amplifier. Just wondering if there was a code issue for permanent in-wall cabling.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The way this works is that it is NOT permanent wiring...it's essentially, an extension cord from a working outlet, to that first panel, and another cord from it to the 'hidden' panel above. IOW, there is no permanent wiring in this at all, it's just hidden.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The only restriction with low voltage and line voltage wiring is they cannot be inside the same conduit. In the future should you ever need to run wire between studs, you attach low voltage to one side and the other for the line voltage. Should a nail or screw ever pierce a line voltage wire you would not want the screw or nail continue and pierce a low voltage wire.

interalian

Reaction score
extension cord from a working outlet, to that first panel, and another cord from it to the 'hidden' panel above. IOW, there is no permanent wiring in this at all, it's just hidden.

So, in this way, you'd also be OK fishing an extension cord through the wall as long as it wasn't 'permanent'?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Extension cards are not allowed behind walls or ceilings even though it is probably done thousands of times. In a commercial setting, a fire inspector would not allow it and it be written up as a deficiency.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That device may get away with it because the connector is designed to lock. The installation instructions say:
ETL LISTED CONFORMS TO UL STD 514C. So, whatever they're doing, it should be okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks