Hiding in the Joist Bay

Users who are viewing this thread

rtmateyko

Reaction score
I am building a bathroom and would like to tuck a bathtub drain into the joist bay to gain some space. Currently the p trap from the bathtub runs into a sanitary tee vertically positioned with a vent at the top inlet and another sanitary tee ( possibly a y ) connected at right angles so that there is a clean out on one side and then the other inlet heads down toward the stack - about 7 feet away. The p trap is probably 1.5 inch and the tees and drain are 2 inch cast iron. The drain water turns in the vertical plane in this case.

I want to replace this with a sanitary tee and y positioned in such a way that the drain from the p trap turns in the horizontal plane. I would use a y tee with a 45 degree connector to make a gradual sweep and then head off toward the stack at the proper slope. One inlet of the sanitary tee would be connected to the clean out, the middle inlet to the vent and the final inlet to the y connector.

I have included pictures to show this, because, as you can tell, it is hard to explain. The first set shows the existing set up and the last set shows approximately how the new fixtures would be arranged.

Will this work?

Roman

Attachments

• IMG_5308 a.JPG
    IMG_5308 a.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_5309 a.JPG
    IMG_5309 a.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5310 a.JPG
    IMG_5310 a.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5311 a.JPG
    IMG_5311 a.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5313 a.JPG
    IMG_5313 a.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 394

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
the pictures make it clear. Think of 1/8th Bends and Combos which are 45 degree Wyes and 1/8th bends making quarter turns in total, instead of Sanitary tees, of which you had only one before. You won't have any Sanitary Tees after you drill through the joist and put that Wye in.

You will only have long sweeps with large radius, or 1/8 Bends, or Combos. No Sanitary Tees. You cannot use San Tees to turn waste water around a corner in the vertical plane.

Post how you connect to the stack too. You are raising the pipe a lot.

David

rtmateyko

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - really appreciate it. I have included a schematic showing the pieces. The sanitary T I plan to use is only there to give me a clean out and a place to connect the vent. And I agree with you on the use of 1/8 or 1/4 turns into the Y - that is what I plan to do. And the Y is where the drain water goes.

I have also included two pictures of the connection to the stack, which by the way is about 6 feet away. There are two possible points the I could transition to. The first is a 1/4 turn right off the stack. I would then extend with plastic pipe until I intersect with the nominally horizontal pipe coming from the p -trap end. I am a little nervous about this because I need to cut it so that I have enough left on the part coming out of the stack to put the transition sleeve on. Also if i do any damage to the connection i really have no way of fixing it.

The safer option is to move down the stack a couple of feet toward the p trap and cut the pipe there. The downside is that the I have to put in another 1/4 turn to get the altitude to meet the pipe since this is beyond the existing quarter turns that are there. What that means is that the drain pipe past this point toward the stack will be kind of squirelly - still decending but with a couple changes in it rate of descent.

Roman

Attachments

• IMG_5315.JPG
    IMG_5315.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_5316.JPG
    IMG_5316.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 367
  • schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 385

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
no San Tee at the vent connection. Use a Combo, which will give you a clean out just like you want. It takes up more space, but that is the only downside. No San Tee on its back. No.

In your third paragraph above, you mention additional bends if you play it safe. That is still very good.

David
p.s. no San Tee. Return it. There will be no sanitary tee when you install the right fittings. Your existing fitting is not a San Tee. It is bigger. Use the PVC version of that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks