Hexavalent chromium six filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

notslow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought this would be the right place to ask. I've read studies that seem to show chromium six is more dangerous in aerosolized forum (I'm thinking steamy shower). I've tried finding a whole house filter that can remove it, but I can't find any filter that is rated to remove or reduce it beside RO. Those seem impractical for large volume.
Is there any filter that can remove or reduce hex six chromium from shower water?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Isnt that the stuff PGand e put in hinkley water? Theres a Movie about it. Erin Brockowits. I guess you tested water already I dont know which filter for that.

notslow

Reaction score
Yes, that's the stuff. Levels are around 30ppm according to the water companies 2019 test results. My result at the faucet was 22ppm with a Hanna tester. Even if I can't completely remove it completely, I'd like to reduce it if possible.

I really don't want to use RO, pipes are copper and I hate the taste. Our water is good except for the hex chromium and these levels are probably safe in liquid form, but studies suggest it is more dangerous in aerosolized form. Maybe there is a whole house filter I could plumb in for the shower to reduce it just there.

I've done a lot of searching and most filter companies don't claim to remove it or reduce it. Only RO systems claim removal. Can filters really not remove any of this?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You know more than I do. probebly a dumb question but would a softener posibly remove the chrome6?

notslow

Reaction score
This link shows a shower filter:

https://www.hydroviv.com/collections/hydroviv-water-filters

And this is the original link I had from an internet search:

https://www.hydroviv.com/blogs/water-smarts/water-filters-chromium-6

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure about this company. Their filters are very expensive and they don't offer any large format filters. Those tiny inline shower filters couldn't last long.

If there is a media that can filter Chromium 6, someone must be selling a large format filter that won't clog in a week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks