Here we Grohe again, back flow preventer stuck in valve body

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing the temp/valve cartridge. There are small plastic back-flow devices on the sides, inset into the valve body.
The new valve came with replacements, so I tried to remove the old ones, since the years of hard water caused the control valve to fail.

Only part of the back-flow came out. I tried removing the remaining part with a small right angle pick tool, but can't get them out. I'm afraid of damaging the interior of the valve body,

I then turned on the water hoping they would be forced out under pressure. They are not moving.

Any advice on what to do will be appreciated. I'm stuck from moving forward.

Do I even need these devices. See photos

grohe-back-flow.jpg

backflow2.jpg
Stuck plastic.jpg

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try using a tool like this . This should actually help getting out the old ones out . Did you try using this tool ?

This can be very tricky . The actually control the flow of the valve and is needed .

When installing the new ones put Greese around the o rings . If you don't sometimes these parts don't go back or flush into the valve.

IMG_20220819_100835.jpg

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I was afraid of scoring or scratching the interior of the valve so I bought a non scratch pic set, it was too flexible and didn't work.
I used a right angle metal pick and filed the end flatter so it was less of a sharp point, That worked, thanks.
The calcification from the hard water really locked those ***** in there.

Attachments

• pic set.jpg
    pic set.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 72
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks