Help with water heater selection please.

Users who are viewing this thread

rwagz

Reaction score
I'm researching my replacement because I am on borrowed time here! Many search hits bring me here. Thanks Terry! I'd appreciate some help figuring out my replacement before I'm doing this under duress.

I have a 21 year old AO Smith FPSE 50 236 power vent water heater. It had been in service for seven years when I bought the house. I will keep it going as long as the tank remains viable. For maintenance I replaced the T&P valve and anode in the last few years (which is neglect.) For repair - I replaced the ignitor, the pilot control and the vent-proving pressure switch. After 20 years of heat cycling, a printed circuit board trace cracked on the pilot control. I was able to make this honeywell controller work after a long long study of the wiring diagrams. I'm replacing the dip tube tomorrow.

My research tells me a lot has changed in the last 20 years. I wish I could find a new old stock FPSE 50 236! There is no shortage of complaints on the internet. AO Smith is not a no-brainer brand choice due to reports of their moving manufacturing to a cheap labor country with a resulting decline in quality. The ease of internet complaints make it easy to find problems but difficult to find context such as overall number of manufactured units and a relative failure rate. Manufacturer consolidation and re-badging to lower price points with cheaper components add confusion. Most of the epic brand comparison threads are several years old.

Existing specification is adequate if not a little less than what we need. 46000BTU, 50gal, recovery 48gal/hr, power vent. Replacement models cost between $1,000 to $2,100. I don't need a low-emission model. I'm willing to spend higher for higher efficiency and/or expected longevity. I can go for a cheaper unit with a lower warranty and add my own anode to the hot port.

Replacements seem to be a touch lower in BTU/recovery specs. I am also considering getting a water heater booster. Thoughts?

Manufacturer short list is AO Smith and Rheem. I could get a Bradford White but am avoiding it because DIY and the expected hassle when a non-professional (me) tries to make a warranty claim.

What are your thoughts? Other brands? What about the variation in quality within the same brand? Should I get a booster?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks