Help with two pressure switches

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by davidP99, Sep 29, 2020.

1. davidP99

davidP99 New Member

Hello folks,
    I am switching from in ground well to a large above ground water tank to supply a home. The existing well pump is submersible which I will replace with a sta-rite SNE-L shallow well pump which comes with a pressure switch attached. I also have a typical pressure tank that has its own T and pressure switch attached that controlled the submersible well. My question is, is one of the switches now redundant? Which pressure switch should control the new pump? I'd assume the one attached to the sta-rite pump. If so, what should I replace the pressure switch on the tank manifold T with? Just a typical brass plug, I guess?
    Thanks for any help. Amateur guy just trying to save the farm

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If I read correctly, you will remove the submersible pump. You will instead use a shallow well pump to suck water up to the pump.

If you have a pressure switch, it is best to control that pump with a pressure switch at the pressure tank.

You could wire around the pump-mounted pressure switch, and leave the switch in place. You could wire the two switches in series, and add jumpers from terminal 1-2 and 3-4.

You could also buy the pump with no pressure switch.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

What is the reason(s) for replacing the submersible pump with an above-ground pump?

5. davidP99

davidP99 New Member

sorry if i wasnt clear. i will no longer use the submersible pump. or the in-ground well. its all getting swapped over to above ground rainwater tanks

6. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Something like this would be best. You just won't need the part where the well pump fills the storage tank.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

7. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    You could also use your existing well pump in the storage tank as the booster like this.

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

8. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

I asked for a reason as perhaps your well may be low producing and so you may think an alternate water source is necessary.

If the well is slow to recover but does continue to produce water, the well pump output can be often restricted to be equal to the well's recovery rate. If for example, the well can only produce 1 GPM, with the pump flow restricted to 1 GPM, that configuration can supply up to 1,440 gallons each day to a storage tank as shown in Valvemen's drawings.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    valveman likes this.