Help with strange Symmons Temptrol Bath/Shower valve (video)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Metrowest

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -- first post,

I am a really good fix it guy with some plumbing experience and had the ancient model A Temptrol that would drip, drip, drip no matter how hard you tightened it from the front of the spindle. No problem, I figured I would just replace the innards and be done with it.

So I bought a new Spindle, diverter, inner (hot) and outer (cold) seats, and a gasket kit (all OEM) and some Danco Silicone Grease.

After not being able to get the seats out, I used the #6 and #8 Easy Outs and got them right out. When I put everything back together (new seats) things were worse. Rather than explain, here's a minute long video that shows what is going on...

Please tell me I did something stupid and do not have to go through the drywall on the other side and replace the entire valve :) I used the new spindle with the old seats until the Easy Outs came in, and I bought the gasket kit and can replace all the gaskets. Also, did putting Silicone Grease on things mess anything up?

Thanks,

Metrowest

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is leaking around the stem I would try to tighten the packing nut and see if that stops the leak. If not I would replace the packing.

symmons-temptrol-hacks-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks