Help with softener system replacement spec

Users who are viewing this thread

dgoose

Reaction score
I purchased my house 2 years with what was guessed to be a 15 year old softener. One tank 12in x 52in i belive. It appears its giving up the ghost and the lack of knowledge and history of it I want to replace it. Id do have limited space. Im on a well with 2 people currently in the house anticipate adding to that number and 2 bathrooms Before the softener i have 10gpg hardness, 6.8ph, iron 11ppm clear iorn, tds is 147ppm, my pump rate is 7.4gpm and we occasionaly get a sulfur smell maybe twice or so a week. Before i realized how easy it was to install a system i had 2 local company's come out and give estimates. BOTH wanted to install fleck 9100sxt with 48k tanks and thats it. Both said that they would remove my iron to 0.3ppm or "staining levels." Both wanted $3k for that system. Both wouldnt say what resin they used. One said fleck makes the "enitre" sytem. This caused me too look some of this up. First i learned installing these systems is easy. The knowledge as to what is needed to make it work not so much lol. But one consistent thing i have learned is almost everyone says to get a iron filter first. Ive read a few cases of people using SST60 in the softener to remove higher amounts of iron. Ive been researching all i could for 2 weeks. Its overwhelming and this site is full of very knowledgeable and helpful members. But ive narrowed it down to what i THINK will work. Fleck 9100sxt dual (i say dual because i was told that by them. but i do run laundry, dishwasher etc at night. ) resin tanks sized at 32k using standard 8% resin. For a iron softener i feel a regenerating 2.0 cubic ft Katalox tank would be more than sufficient for my iron needs and occasional smell. I need use a little space as possible the katalox from what i read doesnt need a oxidizer? Any imput and advise/guidance in this would much appreicated! Thnaks

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Almost every company will have a different opinion on how to treat this water. When treating water certain compromises must be made in regards to price and water quality.

My recommendation would be to start with a Katalox Light backwashing system. I would start with an oxidizer since your low pH and high iron levels are going to make reduction fairly difficult regardless.

You could use just softening but this is extremely inefficient. The math is fairly simple. Assume that a ppm of iron is typically set to use the same capacity as 85 ppm of hardness. you have only 10 GPG so your softener would need to be set for more than 55 GPG, not exactly an efficient setting.

No real need for a twin alternating softener if you remove the vast majority of the iron first.

Hydrogen peroxide injection ahead of a Katalox Light system, feeding an adequately sized softener should do you well. Watch the pH and the potential for copper damage. If your house is plumbed in PEX or CPVC then you may be ok.

dgoose

Reaction score
Ive read that Katalox can raise ph levels and if it does they stay raised for some time. Have you experienced this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks