Help with Softener Settings for 0.75 CUFT System

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerseyguy82

Reaction score
Recently my softener stopped flowing and we lost a lot of water pressure. I decided to replace the resin and in the process began to really appreciate what a smart device a water softener is. After a lot of research and struggle I was able to rebed the tank with fresh resin and gravel, and the unit is softening our water effectively. However I am concerned about the setting on the valve. This unit came with the house and I have not changed the settings from how the previous owner had it set.

I think the settings should be closer to 8 lbs salt (8/0.75 = 10.67 lbs salt per CUFT of resin), which should provide approximately 18,750 grains softening capacity. That would mean we would need to regen after 2,083 gallons of water treated, no where near the 6,250 gallons the system appears to be set at.

Am I totally wrong?

Location Northern New Jersey
Water source Municipal/City water
Hardness 9 grains per gallon
Iron not sure but believe it to be low
Chorine a lot (planning to install a carbon filter)
Occupancy 2 people

Valve Fleck 5600 Econominder
Tank size 0.75 CUFT
Resin Purolite C100E Resin C-100E (new)
Regen set at 6250 gallons
Salt set at 16 lbs

Z8GIWwl.jpg

3dixTgH.jpg

SVWcVyx.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
The current settings are inappropriate.

The usual recommendation for the best balance of salt efficiency, capacity and water quality is 8 lbs salt/ft3 to regenerate 24,000 grains capacity/ft3.

8 lbs X 0.75 = 6 lbs salt setting
24,000 X 0.75 ft3 = 18,000 grains usable

18,000 gr / 9 gpg = 2,000 gallons capacity per regeneration
2,000 gallons - 150 gallons Reserve Allowance (based on an estimated daily usage of 75 gallons per person) = 1,850 gallons to be programmed on the capacity wheel.

If your average water usage is a different amount, you can alter the Reserve allowance as appropriate.

Last edited:

Jerseyguy82

Reaction score
The current settings are inappropriate.

The usual recommendation for the best balance of salt efficiency, capacity and water quality is 8 lbs salt/ft3 to regenerate 24,000 grains capacity/ft3.

8 lbs X 0.75 = 6 lbs salt setting
24,000 X 0.75 ft3 = 18,000 grains usable

18,000 gr / 9 gpg = 2,000 gallons capacity per regennration
2,000 gallons - 150 gallons Reserve (based on estimated daily usage of 75 gallons per person) = 1,850 gallons to be programmed on the capacity wheel.

If your average water usage is a different amount, you can alter the Reserve allowance as appropriate.

Thank you! That makes sense. The settings are so far off, I think it may have caused the original resin to fail.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Constant chlorine exposure is most damaging to resin. How long did the old resin last?

When there is constant chlorine exposure, 10% cross-link resin is recommended as it will better tolerate chlorine compared to standard 8% C-L but a backwashing carbon filter will eliminate the chlorine before the softener which will extend the life for your new 8% C-L resin.

The current 16 lbs salt is more than needed to regenerate the 0.75 ft3's total 24,000 grains capacity (32K gr/ft3), but regenerating the total resin capacity is always very inefficient. 24,000 gr / 16 lbs = 1,500 gr/lb Hardness Reduction Efficiency.

FYI, the recommended 18K Capacity and 6lb Salt setting above will provide an HRE of 3,000 gr/lb.

Using all 24K total grains / 9 gpg = 2,666 gallons capacity max / 150 gallons/day (est) = ~ 17 days capacity.

The current 6250 gallons setting / 150 gallons/day = >41 days before regeneration occurring so you will have experienced at least 24 days with no soft water whatsoever before each regeneration.

Last edited:

Jerseyguy82

Reaction score
Constant chlorine exposure is most damaging to resin. How long did the old resin last?

I am not sure since the softener came with the house, but it was running for 2 years on the original resin and settings.

When there is constant chlorine exposure, 10% cross-link resin is recommended as it will better tolerate chlorine compared to standard 8% C-L but a backwashing carbon filter will eliminate the chlorine before the softener which will extend the life for your new 8% C-L resin.

I had wanted to use 10% but had trouble finding it so I settle for 8% to get the job done. Hoping to have a carbon filter pre-softener installed soon to help extend the resin life.

Thanks so much for your help Bannerman!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks