help with skin rash from water!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think you are mixing things up. You do not get minerals in your water BECAUSE of the water heater. The clanking around you hear in the water heater is because minerals already IN the water, have precipitated out into chunks because of the direct heat of the burner. These mineral chunks cause the clanking, and affect the energy efficiency, but do not then go out INTO the water system.

If you are on a well system, you should have a complete chemistry test done by a qualified water quality expert, then determine what treatments may be necessary.

Regarding an earlier ( 2008!!!) comment about someone thought well water should somehow be better than city water......try to arrange a tour of your city's water treatment plant. You would be AMAZED at what steps they take,, including filtering and ADDING tons of chemicals....to deliver the excellent water that is enjoyed throughout this country.

Kimster

Reaction score
Let me tell you something about eczema. I've been battling it for many years. Originally, it started as a reaction to some rings I was wearing. I stopped wearing the rings and it went away. A little while later, it came back and it's been on and off for 7 years. Once you have it, even if you get rid of the original irritant, it can come back because it has become hypersensitive and other things can trigger it. I hope you can get rid of it, but I'd look at other things around the house in addition to the quality of your water.

brokenwingb4

Reaction score
Yeah I realize the minerals are in the water that is coming into the water heater

I think you are mixing things up. You do not get minerals in your water BECAUSE of the water heater. The clanking around you hear in the water heater is because minerals already IN the water, have precipitated out into chunks because of the direct heat of the burner. These mineral chunks cause the clanking, and affect the energy efficiency, but do not then go out INTO the water system.

If you are on a well system, you should have a complete chemistry test done by a qualified water quality expert, then determine what treatments may be necessary.

Regarding an earlier ( 2008!!!) comment about someone thought well water should somehow be better than city water......try to arrange a tour of your city's water treatment plant. You would be AMAZED at what steps they take,, including filtering and ADDING tons of chemicals....to deliver the excellent water that is enjoyed throughout this country.
But because they enter into the water heater they are then contained in the heater longer and become deposits that do not leave the water heater that makes the water more loaded with the minerals and such then. Wouldn't this be a correct assumption that the hot water is worse than the cold water that releases so many minerals where as the water heater doesn't let many of them out and they stay contained in there and the water becomes loaded with them? Wouldn't that make some sense?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
But because they enter into the water heater they are then contained in the heater longer and become deposits that do not leave the water heater that makes the water more loaded with the minerals and such then. Wouldn't this be a correct assumption that the hot water is worse than the cold water that releases so many minerals where as the water heater doesn't let many of them out and they stay contained in there and the water becomes loaded with them? Wouldn't that make some sense?

No, the hot water will likely have LESS mineral content in it because the heat causes some to precipitate out. Now, if you don't run your WH hot enough, and it got contaminated some way, it could be the ideal temperature for bacteria to grow and that could be problematic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks