Users who are viewing this thread

Popproxxx

Reaction score
Hello, I am having some difficulty replacing the sink drain in my bathroom as well as the P trap and such. After taking a wrench to the joint to try and twist it off, the thing was so old and crusted together that it didn’t budge, instead the whole p trap and drain broke off just under the sink basket and from an old joint connecting to a pipe in the wall. It’s like a hundred years old and broke off from the flange and the pipe in the wall, both the drain a old P trap as well as this like 2 inch elbow fixture that I couldn’t find at Home Depot. The pipe in the wall is all rusted and calcified. I tried buying a metal p trap and a new drain, but I can’t get the flange out of the sink, because the cement or what ever in it is so old it’s as hard as a rock. I tried taking scape paint tool to it, a heat gun, somebody suggested a sawzall “very carefully”, but that just looks dangerous and I’ve never used a sawzall. One guy at Home Depot said I should try ABS but I have no experience with that. Also I don’t know how I would cement the abs to the rusted pipe in the wall. Any suggestions for how I could go about solving my few problems, getting the flange out of the sink, as well as getting the proper pipes whatever they may be and going about connecting and sealing them. Especially about the rusted pipe coming out of the wall. The guy at Home Depot said that thing should come off because it has zip ties on it, but he also said it’s rubber, but it doesn’t look rubber. It looks like rusted metal and I don’t want to screw things up by trying to take that off and it make the situation even worse. I’ve included some photos so you can get an idea of what I’m dealing with at the moment. Sink plumbing photos

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If "the guy at home depot" had any marketable skills why doesn't this guy work as a "plumber" and make triple as what HD pays?

The SAZALL is correct in an expert hand, not a DIY

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In this instance, because you're not using terminology that paints a solid picture.. try posting a good clear photo of the drain at the wall and one of the bottom of the sink where the drain broke off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks