help with shower drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

jaykay59

Reaction score
I would appreciate help from someone who could tell me what is the best way to connect the shower I would like to install in my basement. I opened up the floor to expose the plumbing that was put in when the house was first built. However, it was set up to put a tub/shower instead of just a shower. I just want a shower and would like to use the tub/shower connection for a vanity sink. My original thought was to just use a double wye combination. Can I do that according to code in Wisconsin? The photo shows the current configuration. Thank you in advance.
P1080423.JPG

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can hear the crickets from my house. I know nothing about local or state codes in Wisconsin, and it's starting to look unanimous, so I'll throw in my two pesos.

The double wye will function just fine. Let's say the existing vent is connected to the system. If you are counting on getting inspected, run the lavatory drain over to the wall (left side of picture I'm assuming), and run the lav drain up and reconnect to that existing vent in the ceiling. It may be redundant but that's how I squeaked by when I was learning the trade. When in doubt: vent.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You will need to re-route the drain. You can wet vent the bath group through the lavatory vent, but any other vent take off must be vertical. The existing flat vent would be flagged by any competent inspector, and rightfully so.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cacher Chick is right. I'm walking it back. The existing vent would be an unnecessary and redundant artifact, and the inspector would have issues with it.

jaykay59

Reaction score
Thanks Fullysprinklered and Cacher_chick for your feedback and guidance. Although I have a hard time understanding why a 12" run of horizontal vent would matter I figure I could attach a vertical vent onto the shower drain which would then come up inside the proposed left shower wall and then tie into the existing vent.
Cheers.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Every time the drains back up it can leave solids behind that would restrict the vent. A proper wet vent is washed out by the fixture it is vented past, which is commonly the lavatory. To prevent this, vents are not allowed to be run horizontally below the flood rim of the highest fixture being served.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks