Help with Riello Burner on Buderus (Short Cycling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Hi all, Hoping you can help me out.

I purchased a house with a Buderus Logano G215 paired with a Riello 40 F5 burner that provides DHW and 3 zones of heating via circulators feeding hydro air units.

We had it serviced in Feb '19 by the HVAC company that replaced our Hydro Air handlers and Outdoor condensers and they screwed it up and it kept locking out and puffing back for months. The techs didn't know how to work on this equipment.

After some research I realized I needed an HVAC company who knows Buderus and Riello, so I found one. They sent out their service manager who got us all fixed up. He explained how the other company installed all kinds of things wrong and baffles backwards, but he clearly knew his stuff. This was at the end of July '19 and we've been running smooth ever since.

Fast forward and we have a new issue that I'm hoping to get some help with.

The Riello has always been noisy and we can hear it fire below our family room. Today I noticed the burner running and firing to flame for 4-5 seconds and then for 15-20 seconds it sounds like the pump is running but not firing.

The odd thing is the safety isn't cutting it off and I haven't had to reset the burner. This pattern is not at all the usual. I can't even call is short-cycling, almost "micro-cycling" but the burner has been running for many minutes like this, more than 30-45.

The boiler appears to be getting up to temp and other than the very annoying sound and weird pattern it seems "working" in a very inefficient way.

I'm going to call for service tomorrow, but figured I'd ask thoughts/suggestions in case I can't get them out. I've done lots of burner work on many homes and properties over the years where they had beckett or Carlin burners. I've graduated from working on my own equipment unless necessary, but have left this Riello to the pros based on research when we bought this place, especially after the first guys screwed it up.

I saw how easy it was to test the PhotoCell so I did that quickly and wiped it down and also tried bleeding to see if there was air in the oil line, but didn't change anything.

THANKS

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
"I noticed the burner running and firing to flame for 4-5 seconds and then for 15-20 seconds it sounds like the pump is running but not firing."

Burner controllers usually spin the burner (which has a blower) without letting fuel flow for some length of time to purge any potentially explosive mixtures after it senses a failure to ignite. If the flame was actually going for 4-5 seconds after the ignition cycle and it cut the flame and ran a post-purge it's having problems sensing the flame.

The number of retries before giving up or spitting an error code or forcing a reset (if it even ever gives up) is burner model/manufacturer dependent. (I'm not intimately familiar with Riello burners.)

Koozman

Reaction score
Hi all, Hoping you can help me out.

I purchased a house with a Buderus Logano G215 paired with a Riello 40 F5 burner that provides DHW and 3 zones of heating via circulators feeding hydro air units.

We had it serviced in Feb '19 by the HVAC company that replaced our Hydro Air handlers and Outdoor condensers and they screwed it up and it kept locking out and puffing back for months. The techs didn't know how to work on this equipment.

After some research I realized I needed an HVAC company who knows Buderus and Riello, so I found one. They sent out their service manager who got us all fixed up. He explained how the other company installed all kinds of things wrong and baffles backwards, but he clearly knew his stuff. This was at the end of July '19 and we've been running smooth ever since.

Fast forward and we have a new issue that I'm hoping to get some help with.

The Riello has always been noisy and we can hear it fire below our family room. Today I noticed the burner running and firing to flame for 4-5 seconds and then for 15-20 seconds it sounds like the pump is running but not firing.

The odd thing is the safety isn't cutting it off and I haven't had to reset the burner. This pattern is not at all the usual. I can't even call is short-cycling, almost "micro-cycling" but the burner has been running for many minutes like this, more than 30-45.

The boiler appears to be getting up to temp and other than the very annoying sound and weird pattern it seems "working" in a very inefficient way.

I'm going to call for service tomorrow, but figured I'd ask thoughts/suggestions in case I can't get them out. I've done lots of burner work on many homes and properties over the years where they had beckett or Carlin burners. I've graduated from working on my own equipment unless necessary, but have left this Riello to the pros based on research when we bought this place, especially after the first guys screwed it up.

I saw how easy it was to test the PhotoCell so I did that quickly and wiped it down and also tried bleeding to see if there was air in the oil line, but didn't change anything.

THANKS
Hi Rmelo99, I have this same exact issue. How did you resolve this?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Here's the burner manual page 17 shows sequence of the burner. Wish their chart had timing for the sequence. They don't show post purge just prepurge. Since there are no faults and burner isn't shutting down even for a second look at the thermostat and relay if the control is 24volts or the operating control for 120volt control.
Something is momentary shutting off then coming right back on going back to prepurge and firing. Is there a start up form left with the install manual?

Koozman

Reaction score
Here's the burner manual page 17 shows sequence of the burner. Wish their chart had timing for the sequence. They don't show post purge just prepurge. Since there are no faults and burner isn't shutting down even for a second look at the thermostat and relay if the control is 24volts or the operating control for 120volt control.
Something is momentary shutting off then coming right back on going back to prepurge and firing. Is there a start up form left with the install manual?
Thanks for posting!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks