Help with repiping drain lines along basement wall

Users who are viewing this thread

ajs317

Reaction score
I have two drain pipes, one galvanized steel and one copper, running the length of one of my basement walls that I would like to replace with PVC. They are currently right up against the concrete block, and I’m planning to put foam board behind them and thus move them out by a couple of inches. I’d also like to see if it’s possible to consolidate them into a single run.

The galvanized pipe is connected at one end to a downspout outside the house, then picks up a kitchen sink drain about halfway along the run and then drops down about five feet to a cast iron hub.

The 1.5” copper pipe run starts with the washing machine drain on an internal wall perpendicular to the block wall and then runs about a foot or so off of the floor along the concrete block wall, and then terminates into a separate cast iron hub. One issue that I think needs to be solved is that this drain line isn’t properly vented.

I have a number of what might be very basic questions, but I want to make sure that I’m redoing these properly and to code, particularly on the venting.

1. Would it work to combine the upper galvanized drain run and the lower copper one into a single run down close to the floor? If so, is 2” ok or is 3” needed for a downspot discharge, washer drain, utility sink and kitchen sink/dishwasher? Which of the cast iron hubs should I terminate it into? As marked in the pictures, one of the cast iron drains vents to an outside wall (it’s a walkout basement).

2. If combining isn’t a good idea and it’s better just to replace the runs as they are now with PVC, can you see any fittings or aspects of the runs that aren’t to current code? The only thing that I can think of is to put a cleanout tee in the middle of the 45 degree galvanized slope, as I plan to put an access panel by that area where the cast iron drains are but otherwise the pipes will be behind drywall.

3. Back at the washing machine, isn’t this not properly vented? Would this be solved by an air admittance valve? Other than the washer standpipe which is right before a P-trap, there is no other way that air is coming in or out of that long copper run.

4. Any other issues that I’m missing? Thanks.

Attachments

• image11.jpg
    image11.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 498
  • image12.JPG
    image12.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 850
  • image13.JPG
    image13.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 744

Reach4

Reaction score
I have two drain pipes, one galvanized steel and one copper, running the length of one of my basement walls that I would like to replace with PVC. They are currently right up against the concrete block, and I’m planning to put foam board behind them and thus move them out by a couple of inches. I’d also like to see if it’s possible to consolidate them into a single run.
Are you referring to a drain "tile" outside of your basement foundation and floor to get water to a sump pump which might feed to pop-up in the yard or a storm drain connection? This would not be for sewage. That can be mixed with your downspouts, or, better yet IMO would be to have the downspouts to go to their own pop-ups in the yard. No need to pump gutter water, since it is from high enough.

Normally the kitchen drain should be added to your drains going to the septic tank or city sewer.

ajs317

Reaction score
Are you referring to a drain "tile" outside of your basement foundation and floor to get water to a sump pump which might feed to pop-up in the yard or a storm drain connection? This would not be for sewage. That can be mixed with your downspouts, or, better yet IMO would be to have the downspouts to go to their own pop-ups in the yard. No need to pump gutter water, since it is from high enough.

Normally the kitchen drain should be added to your drains going to the septic tank or city sewer.
No, these pipes all connect to my septic tank, and I don't have any sump pumps or drain tile setups. I haven't done a full excavation outside along the foundation, but I'm pretty sure that the galvanized pipe connects back to a single downspout that disappears into the ground right near where the galvanized drain pipe exits the basement through the foundation. I agree that having the downspout connect to sewage doesn't seem ideal, but it's just a single downspout and it's surrounded by a patio and retaining walls so I can't really trench it out to a pop up.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, these pipes all connect to my septic tank, and I don't have any sump pumps or drain tile setups. I haven't done a full excavation outside along the foundation, but I'm pretty sure that the galvanized pipe connects back to a single downspout that disappears into the ground right near where the galvanized drain pipe exits the basement through the foundation. I agree that having the downspout connect to sewage doesn't seem ideal, but it's just a single downspout and it's surrounded by a patio and retaining walls so I can't really trench it out to a pop up.
How about just spilling onto the patio, or running that water to a ditch. Gutters into a septic tank is not a good idea normally. Is the patio sunken compared to the rest of the yard?

Also, if you are going to put gutter downspout into 2 inch pipe, allow a cleanout. Normally you don't want to go from a big pipe (downspout) to a smaller pipe. You would maybe be surprised at how many solids go down a downspout.

Last edited:

ajs317

Reaction score
The downspout is in a tough spot, and unfortunately I can't move it at this time, but it could be a project for another day. Yes, the front yard is on a slope and is tiered such that the yard is higher than the patio. Luckily the section of the pipe where it comes in won't be covered by a finished wall, so I can address it down the line. Good point about the cleanout. The existing pipe has a cleanout right where it comes in through the foundation so I'd look to keep that in the PVC run too.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can cut down on what solids the pipe carries with a downspout filter.
invisaflow-downspout-extensions-4400-64_145.jpg

ajs317

Reaction score
Thanks. The filter is a good idea for a temporary fix.

Anyone have any thoughts on the internal piping?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would be easiest if you could provide decent drawings of the proposed layout and then we could tell you more. The important thing to start with is that every fixture must have a vent going upward prior to the drain turning downward.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks