Help with refrigerator waterline, and HVAC duct

Users who are viewing this thread

RWU

Reaction score
I am trying to run a waterline to a refrigerator. The house is on a slab. The refrigerator is on the opposite wall from the kitchen plumbing. It appears my easiest way to get water to the fridge would be up and over in the attic. The problem with that is freezing. Not only would that water line be small, but the amount of flow would also be extremely low (both increasing the probability of freezing in the winter.)
At the same time, I would be running this line in the exact same area as an HVAC (flexible insulated) duct.
Question- could I run my water line inside the duct? In my head I’m thinking this would keep it from freezing without issues and a little warmth isn’t probably going to hurt the ice maker.
If I did this, it would run approximately 10 feet inside the ductwork. Also, the house has a heat pump so it does not get as hot as a gas furnace.
What are the advantages and disadvantages and is this even legal or breaking any codes?
Help please.

Last edited:

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Supply Ductwork is for air, not water lines. In the off chance your lines breaks or has a pin hole leak it would cause lots of damage. You then also have the issue of sealing up the entry and exit points assuming you don’t puncture the pipe along the way. Just run the water line behind trim and/or cut a trough out of the drywall.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you go over the top insulate only above it to trap the heat from the room below.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks