Help with Pump system (CSV, VFD, other) for new irrigation well

Users who are viewing this thread

Aman

Reaction score
I recently had a well drilled. We went 760' with only 1 GPM. I hydrofractured the well and the flow went up to 16 GPM. At 140' he was pumping 16GPM and the water level remained flat. The static water level is about 30'.

My irrigation system was designed on city water at 14 GPM and 60psi. I am having that changed to 12GPM at 60 psi (or so that is my plan).

I am trying to determine the best pump system. Constant pressure is what a couple of well drillers have recommended. Some recommend Pump Start Relay. I have been reading about CSV as well as traditional systems.

This will only be used for irrigation and not the home.

I am looking for advice on the best type of system to last a while and work well. I am worried about the potential issues with VFD or constant pressure (electronics failure in particular).

Thanks. Joe

Last edited:

Aman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. If I match the GPM to the irrigation system, I have heard issues with oressure build up if a zone valve fails or if thw well runs low or dry.

How can I protect against those issues.

Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a pump start relay, every zone has to match the output of the pump. Small zones will create high pressure, while large zones will suffer from low pressure. One of the biggest problems in our area is the Gophers will cut the wires going to the sprinklers, so the pump start relay will start the pump, and since the sprinklers did not come up the pump runs at deadhead condition for a few minutes until the impellers melt. A pressure relief valve is normally installed to pop off if high pressure occurs. But many times they have not been used for so long that they stick shut and do not work.

To be able to use a garden hose, you will need to manually start the pump. Plus when the pump starts it has to pressurize the system from zero to working pressure. The high velocity in the pipe when doing this can cause transients and break the pipe.

But if you get everything set correctly, pump start relays can work fine. A pressure relief valve will protect against high pressure or pump deadheading, and a Cycle Sensor will protect the pump from a low or dry well.

Aman

Reaction score
To avoid the pressure issues, potential breaks, and account for zone valves not opening (one option being a pressure relief valve) and water level dropping (one option being a cycle sensor), does CSV setup take care of this or would it be in addition to these items?

I would likely plan to have a hose as well.

Joe

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The PK1A kit includes a CSV1A, pressure switch, gauge, pressure relief valve, and all the fittings needed. It will allow you to just open a faucet or turn on sprinklers and the pump will automatically come on as needed. The Cycle Sensor is extra protection in case the well runs dry or the pressure tank goes bad.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 gpm to 16gpm? Who did the drilling and who did the frac job? How long was that well pumped to prove 16 gpm?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks