Help with plan for 3/4 bathroom reno

Users who are viewing this thread

James Stang

Reaction score
Originally posted in Canadian Plumbing Code forum, but I'm not getting any response, so I've moved it here in hopes of getting some opinions/criticisms. I'm not looking for a shortcut, so give me your best if you can spare the time.

If you read it before, I have altered the plan a bit to hopefully correct a problem with the venting. (See below).

Hello,

I've been lurking on the forums, reading and trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can.

I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me if my plan/thought for the situation I'm facing in my bathroom remodel is correct, or if you have suggestions for how to do it better, or different fittings to use. I'm trying to understand and educate myself as well.

I've included pictures of the current alignment - which has been working with no issues, despite only using a single vent for 3 fixtures (the main stack) and Y fittings to connect to the main stack (except the sink drain, which uses a San-T).

I'm remodeling the main floor bathroom - a 3/4 bathroom (sink, toilet and stand up shower). We do have another full bathroom upstairs, but that is all. This is also the bathroom guests use and see, so I'm hoping to update it to current standards as well as have it be nice to look at. I have purchased an in wall toilet (Geberit frame and Duravit Toilet) and I'm looking to increase the shower from a 34" x 34" to a 48" x 34". This will solve space issues in a small bathroom.

Now to the current layout.

IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1353.JPG

The main vertical stack goes up to nearly the roof and then turns immediately out to the single floor attic space and then turns up and vents out the roof. There are no other fixtures using this stack to drain above. (The house is a 1 and a half story - so half the house is only 1 story - where this one vents out).

The sink and toilet are on one wall and the shower directly across from the toilet. The sink drains straight sideways to the main stack and also vents that way. The washer (below in the basement) drains down, but the vent comes up and across the basement (6 feet) and then up and vents into this main stack. (You can see the 1 1/2" connecting beside the toilet)

IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1342.JPG

Below in the basement - you can see the main stack (with cleanout) comes up and angles over and then up again. From that point on, the toilet drains into the stack (no other vent and uses a 45 and a Y). The shower then runs across (6 feet) and drains into the main stack above the toilet connection (no other vent and uses a 45 and a Y). Shouldn't both of these atleast be San-T fittings since they don't have separate venting?

Then above the floor, you already know about the sink drain and washer vent.

So top to bottom is: Washer Vent, Sink Drain, Shower Drain, Toilet Drain.

Here goes my plan:

I'm looking to cut out the washer vent that attaches to the main stack beside the toilet (will be re-attached below) and move the main stack over, tighter to the wall and then realign everything below the floor - this extra room will let me set the frame for the in wall toilet.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of proper slope (although my drawing skills may not represent this haha).

1) I will add a vent about 2 feet from the sink that runs up and connects to a new washer vent that join up and connects to the main stack above, adding a clear vent for the sink and replacing the lost washer vent.

2) I will then realign the main stack (bottom to top):
-Two 3" - 45 degree bends to get the stack running up and down sooner (it currently takes about 3 feet to do this).
-One 3" expansion joint (required by code)
-One 3" - 3" - 3" San-T - for toilet drain - Will this wet venting be adequate or should I be adding a separate vent? It is only a 3 foot drop and 2 foot horizontal run to the main stack.
-One 3" - 3" - 1 1/2" Y for sink drain - Should this be a San-T or is a Y better since it is already vented separately?
-One 3" - 3" - 2" San-T - for shower drain - as the top drain fitting, and wet venting being allowed in Canada, are there any other concerns functionally? It is 6 feet away exactly.

IMG_1361.JPG

I added my questions and concerns in Red above.

-I'm wondering about the benefits of adding a toilet vent off the left side of the first drop. So... would you add a 3" - 3" - 2" Wye before the 45 degree bend and vent it up and over to the main stack below the sink vent?

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to get back to me.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks