Pedicure Spa chairs plumbing help

Users who are viewing this thread

gladstone

Reaction score
I have a row of 8 pedicure spa chairs. These chairs drain to a horizontal 4" pipe running from the back of the first spa to the 8th spa and then to the basement.

Since the spa tub drain is very close to the floor, I can't not drain on top of the main drain line. I am afraid that if more then one spas drain at the same time, it may back flow onto the other unused spas. The existing floor of the salon is concrete and I can't not drain each individual spa chair down to the basement. I was hoping not to raise the floor (build a step) so that I can drain on top of the main line.

Will a inline check valve work

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suggest that you check with the local authorities regarding DIY plumbing in a professional business. I know that at least some codes prohibit it, and if you were to proceed in violation of code you might be required to pay a fine and have the job redone. :eek: At least check.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I would suggest that you check with the local authorities regarding DIY plumbing in a professional business. I know that at least some codes prohibit it, and if you were to proceed in violation of code you might be required to pay a fine and have the job redone. :eek: At least check.

Best reply ever. Also I noticed that each local I been in the inspector for that part has different ideas how they want these chairs installed. Almost all of them want a RPZ installed on the supply to these chairs as well.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You probably would not be allowed to connect the chairs as you propose. First off, if you are proposing a pipe running along the floor, that looks like crap. You have issues of traps, vents, indirect drain, etc. You are way over your head.

Now, about hot water. I have seen a ton of these shops shut down by health inspectors, not to mention a ton of them that are still under the radar, because they put in a 30 gallon residential water heater and think that will get them enough water for eight chairs!

Foot and nail salons have become a public health DANGER ZONE in our area. I hope you are very commited to complying with the state cosmetician board requirements for sanitation, and have plenty of liability insurance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, it looks like we scared off another guy who was looking for us to reinforce his bad plan and instead got shot down in flames. Dang, I'm not even close to being a real plumber and even I know what he was wanting to do would (or will) land him in hot water if not from the city, it will be from the health department, or the state licensing department. Maybe all of the above.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Also, each one of those chairs will require backflow protection, point of use for each chair.

Talk about expensive.

Solution in those foot baths is considered dangerous. High hazard, RPBA

One on the main to cover entire building don't cut the cheese; someone draws water from a breakroom sink for cooking/drinking....got sick/dead people if there's a reversal of flow.

I hear those chemicals have the strength to remove nail polish....so it follows acetone acetate or some other aggressive product that removes corns, paint, and the like.

gladstone

Reaction score
I am interviewing 4 contractors who will do the whole renovation for the salon. Two wants to build a 6" step and the other 2 want to do it without the step. The spa chairs come with a low profile P-Trap. I am here to ask for opinion if it can be done without the step.

When a drain pipe is ran behind the chair, we build a box (cabinetry) to hide it so it doesn't look like "crap"

You guys are not helpful at all. Let me know the right way if you know how instead of trying to shoot down newbie posts.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Welcome back! Since you hadn't responded to our answers to you question, it appeared that you were not satisfied with what we had told you. That happens every so often here. Since in your original post, it was all "I" with no mention of contractors, I assumed that you were setting out to do this yourself. Now that you have clarified the situation, let me give you my opinion. Often we get DIY questions about putting bathtubs or toilets on platforms because the guy doesn't want to do the extra work to put the drains where they belong. Your salon may be a bit different from a home bathroom, but it still strikes me as being a hack job. If at all possible, I think under the floor would be the preferred way to do this, but I recognize you will have some difficult problems doing this. Since you have plumbing contractors involved, I would suggest you listen to their advise.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gladstone - FWIW, my brother in law owns a salon and had a pedicure chair installed recently. I got him a referral for a plumber familiar with installing the chairs from my barber. To get a "clean" look, the plumber ditched the p-trap and installed the optional discharge pump. To do this also required electical upgrades. As Rugged mentioned, backflow preventors at each station is required.

My best advice to you is to make sure you are dealing with someone familiar with doing salons. My brother in law got took to the cleaners by the first "contractor", who was in way over his head. Insist that the appropriate permits are obtained, get references, check out their work, and call the licensing office to make sure their in good standing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When a drain pipe is ran behind the chair, we build a box (cabinetry) to hide it so it doesn't look like "crap"

You guys are not helpful at all. Let me know the right way if you know how instead of trying to shoot down newbie posts.

Glad that you are using a contractor, because we had an idea it might be a "handyman" project.

I know of a dentist clinic here the ran the wiring and tubing to the chairs in box on the floor. They did it because it was an old bank building, leased, and I think they knew that after the 4 year lease, they would move on ( which they did ). The box on the floor looked like crap. No other way to describe it.

You are talking on the forum here to probably in the hundreds of years voices of experience. There are SERIOUS health issues with regard to improperly installed foot baths. There are serious CODE issues to comply with.

Regarding the drain, one proper way to do it is cut through the concrete and run proper drains that way.

It is ALWAYS possible to do a proper plumbing install, but it is not always EASY!

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
I'll bet that the manufacturer of those chairs has an installation packet included with each chair. I will also bet that somewhere in those instructions is a warning that reads something like this:
Stop
Consult applicable local codes before installing this chair.

That means electrical as well as plumbing codes.

gladstone

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone help. Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post that this is not a DIY job. I am hiring professional but I still need to do some research and due diligence

The salon is located in 1st floor retail space and we are not allow to cut the floor concrete because there is underground parking below. We are only allowed one 4" hole for drainage and and a venting pipe.

I have attached two attachments. Plumbing1.jpg is what suggested by the spa manufacture and plumbing2.jpg is what two of the contractors are proposing.

I want to try to avoid building the step; but if that's the only way to do it, then I can live with it. Please note that the drawing is not to scale. The reason we need to build the step is to raise the spas and allow more vertical clearance for sloping the spa drain pipe so that it drains on top of the main horizontal pipe (RED circle). Without the step the spa drain pipe is just 2" off the floor.

Without the step, can the spa drain to the side of the 4" main drain pipe if we put in a check valve to stop backflow? Will the water drain if the spa drain is only slightly sloped toward the main drain pipe?

Attachments

• plumbing1.jpg
    plumbing1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 42,574
  • plumbing2.jpg
    plumbing2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 29,660

Jesus Perez-Valdez

Reaction score
the best thing to do is to install a pump and a check valve so you can pump the fluids up at the wall and have every tub done the same,that way gravity will take care of the issue ,even if you have only one drain pipe that way you can take care of any back flow code requirement.
Your drain pipes can be 1"an you can build a very low step to run back to the wall.
Install a 4foot riser at the wall and connect your discharge hose or pipe, since It will be elevated you can connect all your risers together and run the pipe down to the only hole you are allowed to use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks