Help with no water coming from well

Users who are viewing this thread

CindyinAZ

Reaction score
We bought our place just over a year ago and it came with its own well. No info on the well at all. It has been working just fine until today. I hear the electric humming at the well, the pressure gauge shows 47 psi, but no water. I have no idea what kind ow well it is. The only thing with a marking on it is the Pressure switch (?) It says Pumptrol. Its not crucial to fix, because we are on another well for the house, but this well feeds the irrigation and for the animals. I can run hoses from the house around, but that will be a day long feat.
I tried to upload a pic of it but this won't let me.

Reach4

Reaction score
I hear the electric humming at the well, the pressure gauge shows 47 psi, but no water.
  1. Is the humming all of the time, or only intermittently?
  2. What is humming?
  3. Is there a faucet near the pressure gauge? Is the water pressure actually zero, and the pressure gauge is bad maybe?
  4. To upload pictures, they have to be reduced to 800 pixels or less and be less than 200 kilobytes in size.

CindyinAZ

Reaction score
  1. Is the humming all of the time, or only intermittently?
  2. What is humming?
  3. Is there a faucet near the pressure gauge? Is the water pressure actually zero, and the pressure gauge is bad maybe?
  4. To upload pictures, they have to be reduced to 800 pixels or less and be less than 200 kilobytes in size.
The humming is the electric in the control panel. I had a well guy come out and said the capacitors in the control panel were bad and the pressure switch was bad. You can see where it was burn't.
We bought a control panel and a switch and replaced them. They seem to be working, but still no water. I am now thinking the pump is bad?
I hope not since I think our well is 600 feet deep.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When you irrigate with hoses it is almost impossible to run enough hoses to keep the pump running continuously. A burned pressure switch and blown starting capacitor tells me your pump has been cycling on and off way too much.

Sometimes the capacitor and switch being bad will give a warning that you are about to cycle the pump to death. Other times the pump has already had oit by the time you find the bad switch and cap.

The only way to keep the pump from cycling itself to death with the old style "traditional pressure tank only system" is to ALWAYS run enough hoses to keep the pump from turning off while you are using water. Many people think the pump needs to cycle on/off, so the pump has time to rest. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pumps are made for continuous duty. They like to run 24/7. But they can only take so many on/off cycles before they are toast. People will tell me they always here the pump clicking on and off normally when they use hoses. The on/off cycling may be normal, but it is not good.

A Cycle Stop Valve will keep a pump running steady, even when you don't have enough hoses running. As long as you are using at least 1 GPM, the CSV will keep the pump from cycling to death.

I don't know how many times I have heard, "I was just running a little bit of water, because I did not want to hurt the pump". Without a CSV, running just a little bit of water is the worst thing you can do to a pump.

When you get the pump back to running, make sure it doesn't cycle on and off while you are running hoses, and you will get many years of life out of the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks