Help with new Fleck 5810 XTR2 settings - pretty sure I'm not using 500gal/day...

Users who are viewing this thread

sac02

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the meter setting is wrong, plus maybe other settings.

It is a Fleck 5810 which was incorrectly delivered with SXT controller, then I installed the replacement XTR2 controller. I don't know if these things typical have some factory programming, but I'm pretty certain mine is a blank slate.

I accessed the master programming menu and set up certain settings, but wasn't sure what to input for the meter size, DLFC, or BLFC for example.

Suggestions on how to determine the meter size would be most appreciated - the softener recharged today after only 4 days because it thinks I'm using 500 gal per day (my Nov - Feb water bills say we use about 160gal/day). Maybe all 5810 valves have the same meter, but a quick Google search didn't tell me what it was.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sac02

Reaction score
Here are pics of the DLFC, does the "400" marking mean 4gpm?

D6vqIEp.jpg

G9XCCBh.jpg

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That is the DLFC. The BLFC is the small one inside the brine line and will be listed on the white sticker n the back plate of the valve. Typical is .25

The meter should be set at a 1.25 turbine. Hope this helps. If you need more help please feel free to tact me, I can walk you right through it.

sac02

Reaction score
Oof, sorry for the giant pics, I sized them down a bit. Didn't realize they were so big when I was on mobile.

I did realize the difference between BLFC and DLFC, I just posted them in a confusing way - BLFC in one post and DFLC in another.

I popped the cover off looking for the sticker dittohead mentioned and found:

GCgVAOf.jpg

So that seems to answer that...

My next question is about proper time settings for backwash, draw, rinse, and refill.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Backwash: 5-10 minutes, not critical
Brine/Rinse: 60 minutes is typical
Rapid Rinse 5-10 minute, not critical
Since you have a 4 GPM DLFC I will assume you have a 13x54 tank, 2.5 CF
Brine fill: set to 8 pounds per CF.

The XTR programming does a lot of the calculations. You have to be sure to set the BLFC to .25
Also set the capacity to 2.5 CF in the programming.

Hope this helps.

ditttohead

Reaction score
6 pounds is more efficient but gives you less "softness". 3 pounds is the most efficient... not really good if you want nice soft water though.

6-8 pounds is the sweet spot for high efficiency and soft water.

sac02

Reaction score
When I changed the BLFC value from the default 0.5 to the correct 0.25 value, the controller automatically updated the Brine Fill value to 21 minutes, that seems like a lot? ...

Current times are:

Backwash: 10min
Draw: 60min
Rinse: 10min
Refill: 21min

Does those times seem OK?

Other questions:

• I turned on the "plumbing leak detect" feature (I think it was actually called Continuous Flow detection?) - is there any issue with this feature?
  • The manual says I can reset the peak flow and total gallons values, but not how to do it. I want to reset the peak flow number since it is innacurate do to the previously wrong setting for the flow meter.
  • Do I need to program the controller for the injector size somewhere? In the picture above I see that the installed injector is size 3, but I don't see a screen or input to put that info into the controller.

ditttohead

Reaction score
it is correct

No problem with the leak detect feature. I have played with it, the algorithm may still be being tweaked but so far so good. It is only an indicator, nothing more so ne real reason to use it.
I haven't reset the peak but let it go for a few weeks. You will se the history start to override itself. I assume resetting the totalizer would be nothing more than doing a complete valve reset. You can see that in the settings.
Injector size... highly variable based on pressure, salt amount etc... #2 of three is fine for that size of system. It is not that critical.

sac02

Reaction score
But do I need to program in the injector size somewhere into the controller? If so, I did not see where.

When you mention the algorithm potentially being tweaked, it makes me wonder: How can I check to make sure I have the latest firmware (does Fleck publish it online?) and can I update the controller myself if a new revision comes out?

ditttohead

Reaction score
The algorithm for the leak detection may or may not be adjusted by Fleck in the future... again, it is not critical. I am fairly certain that is a very low priority item considering the new products they have in the pipeline for the next several years. Since the control isn't yet capable of doing anything about a leak... If you go through the programming and look at every sub menu you can see a lot of things that are not yet available or future items that are probably being worked on or things that will work on more complex valves like the 5812 and the new commercial products they will be releasing in the future.
You do not need to set the injector, it is fine. The injector size determines the draw rate of the brine solution from the brine tank. Too big and the system may lose a small amount of potential efficiency. Too slow and you may experience salty water or the brine may channel around the resin. On you tank size and settings a 2 or 3 would be fine. The system settings assume you have a properly sized injector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks