Help with new delta tubspout.

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshC227

Reaction score
Hey everyone might be a dumb question , I have a new style delta tub spout that comes with a slip on universal adapter meant for 1/2” copper pipe. My house is old and the spout pipe is 1/2” threaded steel.

The inside of the new tub spout has a large plastic body that can be removed. The end piece is 3/4” thread. Would it be safe for me to just add a 1/2-3/4” short adapter to my current pipe. And instead of using deltas universal slip on adapter just thread the spout right into the pipe?

The pic I’m attaching is the piece that I removed from the tub spout. Thanks

Attachments

• B596F6F7-3269-4EC9-99B2-84671E684F39.jpeg
    B596F6F7-3269-4EC9-99B2-84671E684F39.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 198

Reach4

Reaction score
That adapter can screw onto a 1/2 NPT nipple I think.

The adapter wants to thread onto a 1/2" IPS nipple - 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface. Note that 1/2 NPT thread is actually much bigger than 1/2 inch. The 1/2 is the approximate inside of the nipple or pipe.

If your current nipple is not at that distance, get a new nipple. It is highly preferable to use brass, although you could temporarily use steel. After a month, expect a bit of rust to come out each time you turn the water on with a new galvanized nipple.

When measuring for the new nipple, split the difference: aim for the nipple to stick out of the wall 1-1/8 inches. They only come sized every half inch, unless you cut your own and use an NPT die on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks