Help with my DWV Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Skyline

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of reading here over the years, but I just joined now to hopefully get some great advice on my project.

I'm deep in the middle of my Master Bath remodel. Everything is down to the studs. I'm putting in new piping soon and want to make sure that my layout for the DWV system looks right.

Please see the pictures. There should be a plan layout, and 3D schematics of the bathroom and the DWV system. Please try your best to visually superimpose the two 3D layouts together. The vanity is against an outside wall, and that wall is where the 3" soil stack that goes down to the basement is located.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and we are under the PA UCC. I'll make sure that the all the pipe sizes and pitches are correct, and the proper style fittings are used at every connection.

My main questions is do I need all the vents shown. Of course it wouldn't be bad to have every fixture vented but if I don't need to do every one it will make it easier for me. All vents will be 1.5" or 2", and will all be tied to a common 2" vent in the ceiling that is already there.

Please leave any comments or suggestions, and ask any questions you may have.

Thank you,
Chris

Layout-Plan-View.jpg
Layout-3D.JPG
DWV-3D.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Vent D is useless being a flat vent.
The washed lines to the shower and tub can be wet vented by the lav if run in 2". The lav gets 2" on the wet portion.

Skyline

Reaction score
Vent D is useless being a flat vent.
The washed lines to the shower and tub can be wet vented by the lav if run in 2". The lav gets 2" on the wet portion.

Thanks for the quick reply Terry! I wasn't sure if I could use the lavatory vent (that lavatory sink is in the second bathroom on the other side of the shared wall with my Master Bath) to vent 2 fixtures upstream of it. So basically then I will just eliminate the VENT D and I'll use a 90 degree long sweep for the shower into the horizontal waste branch.

Additional question. I'm planning a few outlets in the shower. Main fixed shower head, handheld shower head and also 4 body spray jets (looped together to maintain equal pressure). I'll be using diverter valves to control the various ports. The body spray jets are each 1.5 gal/min while the shower heads would be less than 3 gal/min each. We plan to use 1 or 2 outlets at a time, but probably not all three. I was figuring on running at least 3/4" copper or 1" pex to the shower. Do you think I need to go bigger? Also, I want to make sure I have ample drain capacity. Do you think I should run 2" drain pipe from the shower or should I bump that up too?

Thank you again,
Chris

Skyline

Reaction score
I have a follow up after looking at the space in the bathroom. I've updated the DWV layout based on Terry's comments and physical layout. Please see attached picture. Note that where the tub trap arm comes into the vertical drain pipe of the lavatory, the drain pipe then drops down about 8" before routing over to the main soil pipe where it will tie in under the other horizontal drain pipe. Does this look okay?

dwv 4.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks