Help with leaking Jaclo Single Handle Tub Valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

cprodave

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum but not new to DIY plumbing--been doing it 40+ years.

We have what we believe to be a Jaclo Roaring 20's series Tub Faucet Valve (no shower in this installation) which is leaking slightly behind the handle. This valve was installed by our contractor about 6 years ago as part of an extensive home remodeling. The local plumbing supply company where our contractor (and/or his plumbing subcontractor) bought all plumbing fixtures and supplies is no help--that can't even find a record of these parts being purchased there (but admit that their record keeping is convoluted/confusing and not dependable). Normally my wife is 100% reliable to keep any/all Installation Manuals but in this case she has none so it's fairly certain Manual was not given to us by the plumbing subcontractor.

Worse case we could go back to the plumbing subcontractor for help, but I am guessing this will entail $150-200 for a valve "Cartridge" or "Core" plus another $75-150 for labor. So probably at least $225 to repair this $400 (current price online for Jaclo Roaring 20's) that functionally might be no better than a $99 set at Lowe's Home Improvement.

If I can figure out what Core Puller to use (similar to but larger than Danco #86712 for Moen) to thread out the core/cartridge then I may be able to buy/install a new core/cartridge. Or maybe just clean off some scale/buildup that is causing the leak....

So a couple questions:
1) from photos I will attach separately, can anybody tell me what Manufacturer/Model or p/n Faucet we have?
2) where can I buy the Core Puller for this? I have checked all local suppliers--in our small town, half of our plumbing stores did know what a Core Puller is.
3) what is the correct Core/Cartridge p/n for this?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Dave

cprodave

Reaction score
IMG_20200227_131803063.jpg faucet to be identified...

Attachments

• IMG_20200227_131756216.jpg
    IMG_20200227_131756216.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 168

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
No puller is necessary. If the dome shaped cover has not been removed turn it counter clockwise to remove. This will expose 2 flat sides that allow you to remove the chrome bonnet. The cartridge will either come out with the bonnet of simply pull it out. Their are 2 different cartridges you will see. The front one # 133504 controls the water flow and the other is the balancing module # 133505. I would never replace just one component. You are looking at $35.00 to replace both.

133505_usn.jpg

133504_usn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cprodave

Reaction score
Marlinman,

Thanks a million for your input. Following your advice I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled slightly tighter (about 1/8 turn on the collar behind the dome shaped cover) than original plumber had installed. It is not presently leaking. I suspect that there was insufficient tightness between front and back cartridges. I will monitor for leaks a couple days, if no leaks are found then "we're done". Or if I do see a leak then I will order the p/n's you identified.

Thanks again. You were way more helpful than the 5 local businesses that I contacted (1 big box, 2 hardware and 2 Plumbing Supply places).

Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks