Help with laundry room plumbing diagram will this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

nholt

Reaction score
I'm the Houston Texas area and we added a laundry room to the back of the house. It has a separate drain that connects to the sewer line in the yard and therefore it doesn't connect to the main drain/waste/vent stack in the house. I was reading that the sink vent has to be a minimum of 6 inches above the sink rim. Will my plan work? In my photo the red is a window, the yellow is a countertop, and the green is the utility sink and on the left a washing machine. I am "furring out" the section of the wall under the countertop so I don't have to drill holes through a bunch of load bearing 2x4s. Right below the countertop I was planning to curve the vent pipes into the wall, connect, then continue up and vent out the roof. Also can I use "sanitary tees" on everything in the photos?

LaundryRoom3.jpg
Plan3.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
You are still going horizontal below the flood level of the sink. May be possible to go 45º on the vent to be legal. Also can be 1 1/4" to make it easier to run (check your local codes).

The san-t on the left isn't supposed to be on its back though some will allow as being used for venting. It also is backwards as the flow would be to the right. Replace with a tee-wye to make everyone happy.

nholt

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. What would be a solution? Just use an aav for the sink?

Reach4

Reaction score
I marked up your photo. I am thinking the yellow or orange lines, or somewhere between. 45 degrees is considered vertical.

Attachments

• img_4.jpg
    img_4.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 939

nholt

Reaction score
I marked up your photo. I am thinking the yellow or orange lines, or somewhere between. 45 degrees is considered vertical.
Thank you thank you for the reply! I think that is my solution. The orange line in your mock-up would still keep everything below the countertop hidden away. was just having trouble “thinking outside the box”.

nholt

Reaction score
Where the orange line and white line connect to the horizontal line they can’t be sanitary tees correct? Also one last question, do I need a clean out and where should it be?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On the marked up photo with the orange lines, the 2" trap to vent for the washer can be up to 60" long and the laundry tray 1.5" trap arm can be up to 42" long.

Venting on the horizontal is a wye or combo
Venting on the vertical is a santee, like for a trap arm.

Where the orange meets the white line, that's a combo. The sink entering the lower line there.

nholt

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. One more question, where the bottom white 2 inch drain line in the mockup picture goes from horizontal down to the vertical drain down does that have to be a "long sweep" 90 elbow or will what I have work? See pictures. On a side note, that main drain will be concealed inside the utility sink cabinet.

pipe.JPG
pipe2.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks