Help with Freestanding Tub Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MMiceli

Reaction score
Hi - Installing a free standing tub and not sure that the venting in my diagram will work. This is in Illinois which follows the IPC.

The tub is on the 2nd floor adjacent to a wall which would work well for running the vent to the attic. I am unsure about the horizontal wye connection to the vertical vent in the wall. All 2" PVC.

Comments appreciated - thanks!

Tub Vent.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
horizontal wye connection
A horizontal wye is not allowed for a dry vent takeoff. The wye has to be rolled up at least 45 degrees, so that the side branch vent comes off closer to vertical (which is defined as 45 degrees above horizontal or more). Then the vent rises as it proceeds to under the vent wall, where it can turn to true vertical with a 60 (so it was really only rising at 30 degrees, but that's generally considered adequate).

I.e. like the diagram below, where blue is drain and red is vent (rising). The lowest (on the page) blue line is meant to represent the u-bend of the trap, assuming that your tub has an overflow. If it doesn't, and the trap is under the drain opening, then you can shift everything down the page.

Cheers, Wayne

Tub Vent.jpg

MMiceli

Reaction score
A horizontal wye is not allowed for a dry vent takeoff. The wye has to be rolled up at least 45 degrees, so that the side branch vent comes off closer to vertical (which is defined as 45 degrees above horizontal or more). Then the vent rises as it proceeds to under the vent wall, where it can turn to true vertical with a 60 (so it was really only rising at 30 degrees, but that's generally considered adequate).

I.e. like the diagram below, where blue is drain and red is vent (rising). The lowest (on the page) blue line is meant to represent the u-bend of the trap, assuming that your tub has an overflow. If it doesn't, and the trap is under the drain opening, then you can shift everything down the page.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 80856
Thanks so much for the quick response Wayne. That was my concern about the wye. Didn't think about angling it to rise underneath the wall and then upwards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks